One Quarter window has stopped working :(

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Rocketgirl, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Rocketgirl

Rocketgirl Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen, Vauxhall Mokka and a Mitsubishi L200
    Gosh I haven't been on here in a bajillion years... hi all! :)

I'll try and be brief- basically I took the chance of enjoying one of the few sunny days we have here in my region of Scotland by going topless for the day (keep your filthy minds to yourselves haha ;)) and unfortunately when I tried to put the roof back up at the end of the journey nothing happened :(

After a bit of investigation I discovered the left quarter window is refusing to budge from the up position and now I can't shut my roof :(

To make matters worse I had to throw out the emergency loops as they'd corroded to the point of being unusable and I hadn't gotten round to getting another set :(

Every other window is working fine, just not this left quarter window... any ideas on what's wrong would be fab to hear :D

2. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I believe that pressing the boot release button in the centre armrest resets the roof system so it might be worth trying that first.

I've had my cars battery disconnected today and when I reconnected it the windows (which I had down) wouldn't go up again. I ran the engine to help the battery and the passenger window then went up. The drivers side window switch for some reason was making the quarter window go up and down.

I took the quarter window all the way down and all the back up again. I released the window switch pressed it again and everything worked ok again.

You could try disconnecting your battery I've found in the past it helps with electrical problems by resetting ECU's. Reconnect the battery, start the car and operate the boot release. Close the boot then try the roof again.

Also search the forum for similar problems, roof trouble is fairly common. It's always a good idea to operate the roof with the engine running, the battery isn't the biggest.

3. Rocketgirl

Car(s):
    Tried that, did diddly squat :(

Hmm, could try that tomorrow. At the moment the car's parked up in my bosses garage at work - I don't have a garage myself- so I'll give that a shot, thanks :)

Battery is just over a year old so that surely can't be the problem :think: I'll maybe check the voltage just in case.

Thanks for your thoughts! :)

4. PauliePaul

PauliePaul Copenworld Regular

i have had this problem before and my roof wouldnt move because of the rear triangle windows so i tried abit of wd40 into the gaps of the windows and it worked so it must have been abit stiff heh

5. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Can you hear the motor running for the quarter window when you hold (for about 5 to 10 seconds) the down switch?

You can also lower the windows if you have an OBD-II scan tool. The exact commands to send to lower the quarter windows, in order, are

6. Rocketgirl

Car(s):
    Alright so now I feel like quite the prat :eek:

When I think back there was no handbrake light on the dash when I tried to close the roof yesterday, but after taking the time to drive to the garage to get it checked out today the handbrake light came on after parking up and lo and behold the bloody roof and windows worked again :rolleyes:

I'm guessing it was some sort of interference between the handbrake and the sensor, meaning the car thinks the handbrake is off despite being obvious to the human eye that it is in fact on? Just to be safe I had that area cleaned out so hopefully it won't happen again :)

Cheers guys for your help :D

7. adatara

adatara Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    L880 Copen; have a Honda Airwave (long Honda Fit); had Subaru Foresters
    old post, but it helped me with my recent problem - both rear quarter windows wouldn't go down. Reading this post helped. Solution that worked for me: disconnect the battery, wait a few minutes. Let the car & all electric motors cool down after driving on a very hot day.

I did have electronics that control the roof installed, which may have contributed to the problem. Installed: kit to open the roof with the remote, & a kit to open the roof up to open the roof at up to 30km/hr. I read posts about those kits on copenworld. The maker estimates 3 hrs installation time for both kits but my mechanic's staff are more general mechanics & it took them many more hours than that + calls to the manufacturer. Kit link: L880Kコペン専用 スマートルーフ

AFR0N1 and Tony like this.
  8. lex schotel

lex schotel Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    daihatsu copen 2004 ,, lamborghini murcielago
    my left quarter window doesnt want to come up , is there a way to get power to the engine of that window ?, Or is my window engin stuffed ? again how can I check this ?