1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil consumption

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Vince Manchester, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Vince Manchester

Vince Manchester Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    My 650 Turbo Copen has covered 77,000 miles and I have owned it for the last 1000 miles. Recently I noticed that the oil level had dropped to halfway down the stick, so I topped up with Magnatec 5-30 oil. There doesn't seem to be any obvious leaks, there was some oily crud around the inter cooler discharge pipe, but this seemed thick and old, I have cleaned it off. I can't see any oil around the turbo discharge pipe , just maybe a little at the bottom of the inter cooler. Is this oil consumption normal? The car runs well and the only sound from the turbo is a sweet woo on acceleration when it boosts up. There is also no obvious smoke from the exhaust.

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    When has it been changed last time? Have you checked underneath for obvious leaks?
    Castrol Magnatec 5w30 is not really my favorite when it comes to engine oils :D
    A 0w40 or 5w40 oil might help with oil consumption as it is thicker when hot.
    I would only buy an oil that has "MB-Approval 229.5" or "MB-Freigabe 229.5" stamped on it
    An oil with this approval has a very low tendency to evaporate, thus reducing oil consumption.

Here is a list of all the 229.5 oils which are approved by Mercedes Benz: MB 229.5 - Mehrbereichsmotoröle (Spezifikation 229.5) - Mercedes-Benz Betriebsstoff-Vorschriften
    Oils I approve of: Shell Helix Ultra 0w40, Total Quartz Energy 5w40, Mobil1 New Life/FS 0w40. Just get whatever is available at your location, brands are not really important as long as the product has MB approval ;)

Luckily I have never had a problem with oil consumption on the Copen (I will lead this back to using good oil) and by using above mentioned oils I could reduce consumption on my families Mercedes drastically.

3. Vince Manchester

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thanks for the info, it was changed about 1000 miles ago, just before I bought it , but I don't know what was put in it! There are no obvious leaks underneath. I am thinking of getting it Serviced , so will try one of the above oils, I was worried that it could be caused by a fault on the turbo!

4. Salieri

Car(s):
    With missing service history there is always the possibility, but I am not very well versed with turbo engines so I have no clue what early signs of turbo damage are.
    I always take my own oil to the dealership, I do not trust them when it comes to choosing oil :D

You can get the oil here for example (its a trustworthy shop):
    Total QUARTZ 9000 ENERGY 5W-40 - Engine oil - Oils at 123spareparts.co.uk

Vince Manchester likes this.
  5. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    I'd top it up and keep an eye on it for now, was it actually full when you bought it?

Found this chart, I'm thinking 10W30 might actually be the better choice for Manchester - our highest ever was 37 celcius and lowest ever -17, 10W30 looks to sit perfectly whereas 5W30 might actually get too thin if we ever get some summer and you drive hard.

Does that make sense Salieri? From what I've read, the smaller the range, the better an oil performs in that range and honestly if we break 25 celcius for more than 10 days in summer half the people in Manchester will die of either heatstroke or alcohol poisoning from trying to beat the heat with fruity cider :p
    viscosity-guide.png

6. Vince Manchester

Car(s):
    Copen
    Yes was full when I bought it, have topped up and has gone down a little in the last 120 miles. Manchester is my surname, I live in Lincolnshire.

Vin Petrol likes this.
  7. Salieri

Car(s):
    This chart is pretty much bollocks :D
    SAE30 oil has to be between 9.3 and 12.5mm²/s in viscosity at 100°C, so every 30 weight oil should behave similarly when hot.
    The quality of the oil can usually not be determined by its viscosity but rather by its composition (whether it is made from mineral oil, hydrocrack synthetic oil, pao, esters or a blend of all those mentioned) and additive package used.

Most wear and tear happens in the warmup phase, so an oil that is less thick when cold (i.e. 0w and 5w oils) are preferrable so everything is lubricated instantly. Most of the time, 10w30 is made from synthetic blend or mineral oil, so it might lack in quality. Of course there are exceptions

An oil which has the 229.5 additive package and properties set by Mercedes Benz is pretty high end.

Watch this video, this shows the "cold start" properties of oils which were put in the freezer. As you can see, cold 10w30 pretty much turns to honey, engines do not like that :D When hot, the 0w30, 5w30 and 10w30 have the same thickness.

8. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    buy this one..Link from Phil..Total QUARTZ 9000 ENERGY 5W-40 - Engine oil - Oils at 123spareparts.co.uk

After bought my tiny turbo car june 2015, broken turbo must replaced.. new turbo changed to HKS and lot of other things.I had use 5/30 edge castrol.Thought give him the best right ones.
    But on 1000 KM its need near 1/2 liter oel. Changed it ever 5000 Km with filter.
    After 20000 km now, i went back to 5w-40. Now its need 1/2 Liter on 5000 Km.

:)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  9. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    I wouldn't use Castrol after seeing the video that popped up after Salieri's, he talks a lot, just skip to 4 m 30 and watch the pour, wow!

10. Salieri

Car(s):
    This video shows the differences in quality between mineral ("conventional") engine oil (like the castrol to the left) and synthetic ones, which I have talked about in my last post.
    Castrol is not inherently bad, but its also not as good as the commercials say :D Definitely not worth the price most of the time, however they do have some good products in their line.

I'm very happy we have european standards for oil like ACEA and car manufacturer standards like MB, BMW or VW. They have far more requirements than the american API standard.

Kai: Schön, dass der Ölverbrauch zurückgegangen ist ;)

11. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    @phil only a trolley with over 100 hp:) shame on it for the money spend for it . Nobody need such a car. Checked today after 1000 Km..no oel lost..:)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  12. Vince Manchester

Car(s):
    Copen
    Mine is currently using about 500ml after 1000 miles, so am going to try one of the oils salieri recommends. As I don't know what was put in it by th