Normal max engine temp for the 659cc?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Brian S, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Brian S

Brian S Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    Hi everyone,

As I've mentioned previously, I have installed a real-time digital display engine sensor, mounted on the far right of the dash where it is in my peripheral vision when driving.

It's great, I always know the temp of my engine now, so can adjust my driving if I see it going above 80 deg. I highly recommend it. Again, it shows that the factory temp gauge is next to useless, as it just sits in the middle anywhere between 56 - 92 deg celsius. Thanks Daihatsu, that's very helpful.

My question is, at what temp should I set the buzzer? I've gone for 95 deg, based on the fact that is has, once or twice, gone into the low 90s. My baby is kept like a princess, so fluid levels are regularly checked. Canberra's summer is hot, it was 40deg last few days.

If anyone knows what temperature I should set the upper limit / buzzer at I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks, Brian

2. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    DSC00359.JPG DSC00511.JPG Hi mate,

I have a scangauge in my tiny car.right side next to the steering wheel

https://www.scangauge.com/

So I can see the engine water temp directly. Goes up to 90 deg. to 95 . Thats normal.
    Gets lower with running air conditioning around 85 degrees.
    I would limit the buzzer to 110 deg.
    The water in the expansion tank boils from about 120 degrees. Why I know that. I drove a long time with a broken head gasket.
    Engine stops with 140 degrees automaticly. with big white smoke out of the engine hood.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Brian S likes this.
  3. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    by the way..

you cannot kill the engine with water loss, it switches off and first he pushes the cover out of the expansion tank. It also doesn't warp the cylinder head. Only the gasket is gone..

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Brian S likes this.
  4. Brian S

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    Thanks welzy,

I was totally unsure so set it to that limit to be safe.

I use an EngineGuard (below) www.enginguard.com.au which takes the temp directly from the cylinder head, so I'm measuring the heat of the engine metal alloy, not the water as such. But I'm guessing the numbers would be similar. Today was 41deg and, as you know, you can't help revving a Copen, even if you're sitting at a steady 110kmh, and the temp reached 90deg. In urban driving, above 85-88deg I tend to short shift, well as much as you can in a Copen, ie 4,000 rpm. I think I'll bump it up to 100deg & see what happens this summer. But at least I can stop worrying, so vielen dank!

BTW, with so little storage, I put my vapes where your gauge is. I had to make a little plastic extender for the tiny shelf so they don't fall out. Re storage again, I removed the stock (joke) cargo nets behind the seats (leaving the plastic) & put in 2 decent sized ones. I put 5 small screws into each to support the velcro & painted them black. They fit perfectly. I found them on ebay at Car Tidy Cargo Rear Trunk Seat Storage Organizer Pocket Elastic Mesh Net Bag hN | eBay but I'm sure you'd find them in Europe.

Always a pleasure chatting with you welzy, Brian

IMG_20191220_183301[1].jpg cargo nets.jpg

5. Brian S

Car(s):
  6. Brian S

Car(s):
    Scangauge II certainly does a lot more. Mine just does engine temp. I'd probably consider Scanguage if I were installing again but I'm happy enough.

7. Brian S

Car(s):
    Re the cargo nets, I painted the SCREWS black, not the nets. The screws were silver & I'm pretty OCD with my baby.