New turbo, new spark plugs, new intercooler... Still SO slow!

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by sheppardpat47, Jul 27, 2022.

1. sheppardpat47

sheppardpat47 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2007 Daihatsu Sirion Sport 1.3 16V 87HP (K3-VE)
    2007 Daihatsu Copen 1.3 16V 87HP (K3-VE)
    Hello everyone

So.. Since I got my Copen I knew it was a slow turd, it's horrible to drive and makes no power... And it got an headgasket too.

The previous owner changed the turbo, intercooler, etc... It got no faults on the ECU, it drives "fine" no misfires or something, it's just so...soooooo slow... It's horrible

Compressions are between 10 bar and 10.5 bar on every cylinders so it's "fine"

I'm out of ideas of what it could be... Since it runs fine, just super slow
    I'm so disgusted with it I wish I had bought a 1.3 model because the K3VE doesn't have a turbo, no turbo no problems...

2. Mike Joseph

Mike Joseph Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Jaguar iPace
    When you say the Copen is slow have you driven other 600cc cars to compare
    Buying a car which is at least 16 years old is probably going to have some issues and the 3 cylinder is known as more problematic than the 1300cc even if not in terms of engine problems it has a turbo and needs an oil change every 6 months instead of 12 months

Your term “Disgusted” is not relevant to a car of this age and design

If you buy a new car and you have a problem after a week and when you go back to the dealer and he says he can not look at it for 3 weeks, you would be “discussed” with his customer service

You might be disappointed or frustrated, but did you not carry out any research such as test driving at least 2 cars

In my view this forum is to exchange ideas and help. It is not a moan and groan platform

3. sheppardpat47

Car(s):
    I don't mean to be moaning or something, but when you buy a car for 4500 euros as a young person that just start working and having an active life, I can't afford to repair it... That's why I talked to the guy who sold me the car, I bought the car with the fact it's slow, not with a blown headgasket, that's why I'm sad about it

English isn't my first language, I speak French since I'm from Belgium, the term "Dégoûté" in French is often use when you're sad about something that goes wrong, I'm not disgusted like I hate the car, far from that, I'm a Daihatsu fan... So... By the way, it's a 4 cylinders not 3 ;)
    The term "Disappointed" is more relevant yes! I'm sorry I didn't had it on my tongue at the moment that's maybe why I just used the translation of the French word.

I don't know where to start, if I need to change the engine? Maybe it's the catalyst that's bad and blocks it ? Maybe it just need a good injector cleaner?
    It's so difficult to know where to start, engine seems fine, runs fine, but it's slow, no ECU codes or nothing...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  4. GuzziMan

GuzziMan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Mitsubishi Shogun, 659cc Copen, 350 Z
    Hi

I have taken a look at your little video and read your comments. Yes the engine seems fine but is slow to pick up.

Is the turbo that the previous owner fitted the same size as the one it’s replaced?

If it’s bigger that’s where the problem starts. You are pushing more mixture into the engine than it can cope with.

Bigger turbo does not equal faster car unless a larger scavenging manifold is fitted to suck out the gases faster.

(It is difficult to say at the moment but judging by what has been said there is some confusion here. Daihatsu in the past have built several small engines based upon three cylinders and four, both fitted with a turbo. They are Charade 3 cylinder both none turbo and turbo. The turbo version being the GT TI. I have a long time ago owned one non turbo but had the privilege of driving the other. In my opinion if you find one of these in good condition, buy it because you will have more fun than you have ever had, except for riding a very fast motorcycle.)

5. sheppardpat47

Car(s):
    No no it's an original turbo from Japan, I have the receipt of it
    It's charging correctly and have checked and I have full boost

6. Mike Joseph

Mike Joseph Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Jaguar iPace
    Unless I am much mistaken the only Copen with a Turbo is the 600 3 cylinder

The 1300cc does not have a turbo

What year is the car and in what country was it first registered

I stand corrected the originals are 4c the later could be 3c

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  7. sheppardpat47

Car(s):
    No it's a 659cc 4 cylinders 16 valves 68 bhp with a turbocharger on the front... It's a 2004 from the UK
    I'm from Belgium

And I know that the 1300 is atmo

8. GuzziMan

GuzziMan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Mitsubishi Shogun, 659cc Copen, 350 Z
    Hi

Having looked back on your past post about overheating engine there are two things you should check.

Is your new thermostat a Daihatsu genuine part? If so was it fitted with the jiggle pin faced uppermost to the top of the engine? If yes, good, if not the thermostat will not operate properly. If you have purchased a copy part, I would check the specified value by immersing the thermostat in water raising the temperature gradually and measure the temperature when the bypass valve begins to open. Should be 82 deg C plus or minus 1.5.

Next raise the temperature to 95 C to measure the lift amount should be 8.5 mm or more. If this is not the case there will not be enough coolant volume going around the engine.

The type of coolant should be for an aluminium engine is ethylene glycol based at 50/50 to distilled water to be the correct dilution. Total capacity 3.1 litre. This figure includes the heater capacitor but not the reserve tank. This is to ensure you do not have an airlock in your heater. Put the heating matrix on full when you test drive the car. This ensures any airlocks are driven out by the water pump.

If when you are satisfied the criteria are met your next step will be the water pump.

9. sheppardpat47

Car(s):

Hello, unfortunately I just sold the car, I'm gonna save up to get a 1300cc engine one, because I really want one.

Thanks for your replies

10. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    When did you get appointed to forum moderator ? Perhaps you could have replied in French to help the OP out instead of being snide (and also badly informed).

Disgusted of Barnsley.

11. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    Well I guess that got rid of the Troll.

12. sheppardpat47

Car(s):
    Now I'm looking for a 1.3, found one with only 85000km for 6500 euros, problem is : A/C doesn't work, that's the only problem it got that I don't know how to resolve :(

13. Coping

Coping Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu copen L880
    Daihatsu chore L701
    Side note for future buyers...when working well the 660 turbo is not a slow car.Its an engaging drive,high revving with soft turbo whistle....a fun car to drive.(haven't driven a 1.3 for comparison).

sheppardpat47 likes this.
  14. sheppardpat47

Car(s):
    Lots of people told me that it was a good and agressive engine, but not "as sporty" as the 1.3
    Just driven a 1.3 today, it drives very good and well and it's even more sporty than my Sirion Sport

15. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    I was t referring to you as the troll by the way.

16. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    The 1.3 is a very torquey engine that pulls well in every gear. Not the best acceleration but a very relaxing drive. Check you’re happy with the clutch operation as the cable bracket can bend/fracture and it’s a real pain to fix due to the cable routing.
    Air on could just be a regas but anything else will be expensive and parts hard to find now. Also check the auxiliary drive belt - only one on the 1.3 but it’ll take at least 6 of your fingers off trying to change it b

17. sheppardpat47

Car(s):
    Honestly I will take the one that have the boot that needs alignment
    It's in very good condition and A/C works