1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New seatbelt for passenger side wanted!!

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by brudda_saami, Dec 13, 2012.

1. brudda_saami

brudda_saami Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2008 daihatsu copen 1.3
    What up guys, my copen just failed the MOT because my passenger side seatbelt is broken and won't lock if jerked. I have been getting crazy qoutes to get it fixed in excess of 300squids because apparently there aren't any in the Uk and they have to be shipped. Does anybody know where I might be able to get one or if there is anywhere to get good used parts?
    Cheers

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  3. brudda_saami

Car(s):
    2008 daihatsu copen 1.3
    Yeah thats what I seem to be discovering. It's such a random part to be broken and it seems so hard to source a used one. I will have to see what I can do but thanks for the help

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Have you tried taking the seat belt out of the seat guide to see if it locks whilst not in the guide?

The Copen's seat belts are known for having a dodgy retract.
    I've heard of Copen's being failed on an MOT for seat belts not retracting. However when the belts are not running in the guides they retract a bit better.

Just wondering if your issue is related?

If you don't have passengers. You could remove the seat belt & take it with you to a breakers to try & match it to another Daihatsu or Toyota vehicle.

Otherwise I think you'll have to take the hit & buy a new one.

5. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  6. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    There is one being broken in Nottingham but I just text and its gone :-(

Yeah its a good point Adam, in less that having it a week I gave up putting the belt back in the guide and yeah its rubbish at retracting when in the guide

7. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Hi brudda_saami,

a member of forum.micro-roadster.de got his repaired with this company:

Airbag Center

Might be worth a try if you are familiar with or aware of what to do taking the belt out.

Andreas

8. brudda_saami

Car(s):
    2008 daihatsu copen 1.3
    Thanks a lot guys been a real help. There are places that repair them around london and one called airbagsforsale ltd in leicestershire but im not even sure if it is the seatbelt. I know what you mean about not retracting in the guide but the problem isn't that. It won't actually lock so if I was to get into an accident then it wouldn't save you because it doesn't lock when tugged. Basically I took the seatbelt motor out and there's an electrical connection witha yellow and red wire. The yellow wire is connected but the red one isn't. I was wondering if someone could tell me if that would cause the seatbelt to not lock and tug if pulled hard. Just a thought before I go out and spend some money asking someone to fix it. I don't want to find out suddenly that the seatbelt motor was fine and it was just a small wire.
    Cheers guys for all the help

9. Ashley

Ashley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Merc estate
    RAV4 3-Door
    I don't think it would be an electrical connection - seatbelts are mechanical. The electrical connectors would be for the warning light that tells you that someone doesn't have their seatbelt fastened - also might have some function with the airbag system...
    The locking mechanism usually involves a couple of weights that are flung outwards when the spindle spins quickly - and then engage on a circular ratchet gear.
    If you can get the cover off without damaging it - and without dismantling the mechanism, you should be able to see the weights - a bit of WD40 carefully applied to the hinges - not the fabric of the belt - should sort it out.
    Bear in mind that I'm guessing about the mechanism, but it should be quite straightforward.

10. Ashley

Ashley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Merc estate
    RAV4 3-Door
  11. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    The wires going to the reel are for the 'pre-tensioner squib'. Basically an small explosive device the activates if the air bags go off. The idea, is it pull the belt tight. Don't think this has anything to go with the normal action if you pull the belt quickly. As Ashley said, this is a purely centrifugal clutch.

The seatbelt warning light switch is in the buckle (catch) and only on the drivers side in the 1.3 UK version!

Rex.

12. brudda_saami

Car(s):
    2008 daihatsu copen 1.3
    hello again guys
    thanks for all the help, I got my car fixed and it only ended up costing 70 squids from airbagsforsale. they are based in hinckley, not far from birmingham and they took like 15 minutes to fix the seatbelt mechanism. I took it out myself and drove up there from london for them to take 15 minutes to fix it. However it was definitely better than paying like 300 squids for a new one from daihatsu. They also gave me a guarantee for like 2 years and said that it wouldnt have any problems anyway. I think the seatbelts can be a problem because the new copens have a pretensioner, which is connected to the airbag and thats what the connection at the back of the mechanism is. Lots of mechanics dont want to fiddle with those ones. There is a Kwik fit in Harrow that deals specifically with seatbelts and the guy there is really helpful. Thats just in case anyone ever has any problems. He only charges 30 pounds for it but wont deal with newer seatbelts that have pretensioners
    Anyway thanks for all the help guys
    one love no hate
    peace