1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Radio

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Snowman001, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Snowman001

Snowman001 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi Guys,

I picked up my new Copen yesterday and have just installed my old (new) stereo. I have some questions that i am sure so simple people will aswer easy.

1: The outside rim i got with my stereo is a tiny bit to big so the plastic rom does not fit around it. Can you get different size ones?

2: My sterio did not have the holes to screw the clock part to it, is this normal?

3: This is the main question........ My stereo has the USB input at the back and you connect the usb to this via a cable. I have no where to bring the cable to the front, can anyone suggest a good place to do this?

If i am not making sense this is the cable i use to connect a USB from the back of the sterio to a USB drive-

http://www.commsandsound.com/eagle-...0c5g9fcgagv6&gclid=CNeo7M_dt7oCFfMbtAodXgYARA

2. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    If you're not a smoker, you can drill a hole into the back of the ashtray and hide the USB cable in there.

On the back of your radio, secure the USB input with a load of gaffer / duct tape.

As for question 2, you might need some form of adapter, to make it fit. Can you take a photo of the radio in the mount, the holes should just line up fairly easy to the side of the fascia mount.

I've 2 videos done up on how to change the stereo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snJgUXsFKV8 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIbzFUzwjpM might give you some help

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  3. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    You could just feed the cable into the glove box.
    Or feed it under the centre console into the armrest centre storage bin.

4. Nightjar

Nightjar Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen Turbo
    You could try to thread the USB cable throw into the glove box like my brother did with his MX5 and just plug your USB pen into the cable in the glove box.

5. Nightjar

Nightjar Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen Turbo
    You just beat me to the post Adam.:)

6. Snowman001

Car(s):
    Copen
    Those are both good suggestions but i don't want to break anything! Mabe a hole in the little cigarette thing if i can get hold of a replacement tray thing!

I will take some pictures of the way the stereo is set and how it does not seem to set correctly in the dock ;)

7. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    The glovebox makes WAY more sense.

I used the ashtray in my old car, as it was far easier than the glovebox - but since the radio fascia is accessed via the glovebox, this makes sense.

8. Snowman001

Car(s):
    Copen
    Yes actually thinking about it the glovebox would be much easier!
    Why did i buy a (or why did they make)a sterio with it at the back1

9. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Just watched your videos, very good.
    Is it possible to fit a radio in the Copen but have it flush with the dash and not sticking out that centimetre or so?
    Is it possible to move the original radio back to get that flush with the dash? I would guess it isn't possible because otherwise Daihatsu would have mounted it flush. I hate the way the radio sticks out, it really spoils the ine of the dash.

10. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Thanks!

It is not possible to fit the radio flush, either the Clarion one supplied by Daihatsu or an after market one with a removable faceplate, as you kinda need it to stick out a bit to safely insert and remove the faceplate.

You could probably drill a hole into the radio itself, to recess it back (say) a centimeter / half an inch, but I personally wouldn't bother.