New Daihatsus Dwindle

Discussion in 'Front Page News' started by copenworld, Feb 19, 2010.

1. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    [​IMG]

"What Car?" magazine confirms that new Daihatsus continue to be hard to find in the UK:

"Daihatsu buyers are finding it increasingly difficult to find the car of their choice because dealers are running out of stock.

IM Group, the company that imports Daihatsus, hasn't brought in any new cars since last summer because of the poor exchange rate between the pound and the yen."​

Are we ever going to see new Daihatsus in the UK again?

2. crippsacars

crippsacars Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    MR2
    mazda mx5
    rover brm
    mg zs
    rover mini classic x3
    austin allegro 1.0l
    austin allegro 1.3hl
    austin allegro 1.7hls
    vandenplas allegro
    rover metro
    toyota townace
    I understand from a motor trade mag that diahatsu dealers are being offered an alternative franchise, somthing from china i think.
    The mag has stated that diahatsu do remain in the uk but are currently not offering new cars. This may well change if it becomes viable to do so ( exchange rate- the pound is too low to make selling profitable-they would have to make the cars so expensive they won't sell anyway apparently)
    I suppose that the koreans can do it with kia and hiandry because their cost base must be lower? I also suspect diahatsus are a better quality product hence can't be made as cheaply?

Another idea maybe a toyota copen , a toyota terrios etc? who knows?

3. machinehead

machinehead Copenworld Pioneer

The new situation will either make our Copens more desirable (and certainly more rare!!) or it will kill interest in them almost completely due to lack of availability and advertising.

It doesn't matter to me at the moment because I'm not even remotely thinking about selling.

M.

4. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    The Chinese franchise is Great Wall .

I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing if Daihatsu rebranded under the Toyota name in the UK. If anything, it could give a bigger choice of dealerships.

5. Sardine

Sardine Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen only
    Does that mean we get to join the recall que as well:eek:

Sardine.

6. Pikachu

Pikachu Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Yellow '53 reg Copen!
    :D Cheeky...

Sorry, I've got to post this. D'you like my snazzy new keyboard? It's made by Toyotaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa