New Copen plans.... It's going to be fun, and fast!

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Almichie, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Almichie

Almichie Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    soooo, I have a history of meddling with cars. My other car has 400bhp, is Italian is a V8 and has 2 turbos. My previous car was a 1976 mini with a highly modified 1330cc which was turbocharged. It was build to deliver 200bhp, stage one on the rolling road saw 165bhp. My wife wouldn't get in it and as such didn't get to go back with the increased boost to hit the 200bhp mark.

We jointly bought a 2005 copen last weekend with the intention of a few light modifications to bring the power up to come thing a little more respectable. I guess I'm looking for around the 100bhp mark, nothing more as everyday drivability gets effected if you go too far.

A little research and digging has found the following, which will be fitted in the coming months;

HKS EVC boost controller, allowing boost pressure to be increased.

Greddy e-manage, a piggyback ECU which allows injector timing and fuel injected to be altered as well as the fuel cut to be bypassed

Uprated intercooler, something like an Audi TT; this is what I had fitted to the mini and it worked very well.

Unrated inlet pipe work, BOV (ordered), down pipe and exhaust system. The rest will stay more or less unchanged.

Should be a fun ride as I've not played with tuning injection motors previously!

Debz likes this.
  2. Bemused

Bemused Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    Look forward to following your progress and maybe learning a little.
    Which BOV have you ordered?
    I am loosely thinking of this one but are unsure if its right.
    Kompact Dual Port-20mm

3. Almichie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Turbo smart products are really great quality, the mini had a boost controller and wide band lamda from them. The issue with that one is the angle; the Copen recirculates straight through so you'd have to re-model everything.

I've ordered a sequential BOV as it means the valve stays closed at idle, which keeps all the air going into the engine filtered. I'll report back on quality as its a HKS copy. If it's dubious I'll just order a genuine version with the other bits from Japan. The idea is that the turbo stays spooled no matter the engine speed, other single piston valves operate at the higher end only. Watch this space!

4. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thanks,
    I can probably cope with a replumbing
    The Turbo smart I linked to is a sequential
    Not sure I follow what you said here, you imply the BOV bypasses the filter.

5. Almichie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Correct it does: a normal single piston BOV is open when the engine is idling because the inlet manifold sits in s vacuum, air enters the engine via the port. A BOV operates/opens when a vacuum is applied, when under pressure it remain shut.

6. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Aha, of course it's obvious now you have explained. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

7. Almichie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    The BOV has now been fitted and what a difference! The turbo siren noise has almost gone and the power delivery appears to have been improved. I suspect that we had 2 or more air leaks which have now been resolved by replacing the spring hose clips with clamps and the BOV was passing. The BOV is a HKS sequential copy from eBay, it was a gamble but at £35 one I was happy to take considering the circa £200 HKS cost plus delivery. The air filter will be next as this is such a huge restriction. eBay will be used to source this and the pipe work. The intercooler will be replaced shortly afterwards and then boost and fuelling will be tackled. Alistair

8. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Wow that looks like a bargin BOV, care to share a link?

9. Almichie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
  10. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
  11. Almichie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    That would probably work too, yes. Just be aware that the BOV flexible hoses are smaller than 25mm and the OEM black hose took some persuading to fit over it!

12. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
  13. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    I notice these valves have just one control line whereas the Copens Denso has two, one looks like it its just a delay line via a restrictor.
    I guess we just bin the old control line plumbing and plumb a new line directly to the chamber after the throttle body.

14. Almichie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Yes indeed, the Copen has a complex piston arrangement where the boost/vacuum varies the spring tension and thus the release pressure of the valve. I have removed all the pipe work, plugged the turboside and used the line from the inlet post throttle valve to control the new BOV.

15. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Yes my Denso does not seem to work very well even with its complexity of control The valve is passing on neutral to gentle / moderate throttle and doesn't seem to fully close untill the boost builds a moderate amount. Lots off continual variable whooshing on light throttle. I ran it without the air filter cartridge so as to hear what it was doing. I've since fitted a boost gauge in readiness for turbo meddling and it only occasionally pops up to 12 psi for a second or so. A bilnk and you've missed it.
    The car had a new turbo two years ago and maybe the BOV or its little restrictor is clogged with dead turbo oil.

How has your BOV improved the drive?

16. Almichie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    It's certainly smoother, quieter and it seems a little better performance wise; it picks up quite a lot better than it did. Even the wife commented! Oil change this after noon and in intercooler is coming out for inspection at the same time

17. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Great I'll order a valve this week.
    Our Air con is bust, no belt on the pump but suspect thats not all so I've a mind to dump the A/C to make room for a decent intercooler.

18. stonemanty

stonemanty Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS
    Copen 660cc
    Magic Tank

19. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    qu'est-ce qu'il se passe?

20. stonemanty

stonemanty Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS
    Copen 660cc
    Hmmm I'm off to France in a few weeks but my French is worse than my terrible Cantonese, so here's a guess reply...
    My L880 has D Sport ECU, Intercooler, pipes, air filter, exhaust, a fairly common for J spec Copen aftermarket BOV - and it has a magic tank. The last three were already on it when I got it as a Japanese import.
    I took the magic tank off when fitting the ECU thinking it wouldn't be needed - but It was undrivable; surging and over boosting to the point of cut out even on light throttle
    Magic Tank back on, it was all smooth again, except I had to spend a while adjusting the magic's screw level to prevent cut out on full load. That was trial and error but it's been fine now for many months