1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New copen owner

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Isaak, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Isaak

Isaak Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu copen.
    Audi A6.
    Hi all, just bought a Copen with a misfire, hoping to try and do this my self with the help of this forum, thanks.

2. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Is the MIL / CEL on? what codes is the ECU throwing?

3. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    We had someone a while back on another copen forum, their fix for the problem was to carry a mobile OBD2 reader in the glovebox to clear the check engine light, as the misfire was intermittent

4. Chrismadeley

Chrismadeley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen Vivid Special Edition
    Yes I have to say that I am using an OBD2 reader to check and clear the engine light because I have the intermittent misfire problem too!

5. Isaak

Isaak Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu copen.
    Audi A6.
    Hi, the funny thing is there are no codes coming up, I'm using a launch x431 master.
    Car fires up fine with a misfire at idle, cylinder 4 misfire, when I remove the coil plug, no different. Looked down the cyl 4 spark plug hole and dry as a bone.
    Dry compression test, removed fuel pump relay, removed all plugs then test, is that correct. I'm not a mechanic so learning as I go along.
    1=100psi
    2=100psi
    3=100psi
    4=20 psi

6. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    Squirt some oil down cylinder 4 spark plug hole.
    If the compression goes up its faulty rings, if not it will be a valve problem.
    You should check the injector is working too as if it was partly blocked that cylinder would be running lean and may have caused the issue originally.

7. Isaak

Isaak Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu copen.
    Audi A6.
    Cheers jez77, tried the oil and rechecked compression, still the same so I guess valve issue.
    Injectors I'll get tested towards the the end of the rebuild.
    I have been taking pics as I'm going along, have changed phone since so will download and upload to photobucket.
    So far I have removed the rocker cover, injector rail, inlet manifold and any surrounding pipes, cables plugs, so far so good, so many nuts n bolts, I wouldn't know where to put them back so I've bagged and labled them.
    Only get the odd weekends to fiddle hence the delay.
    Now I'm ready to remove the exhaust manifold but struggling to remove the heat shield to get to it. Didn't want to remove the front end to do it but might have to. Once exhaust manifold is off, I'm assuming the head is ready to come off at which point I'll get my mechanic mate to have a look and advise further.
    Will update as I go along.

8. Isaak

Isaak Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu copen.
    Audi A6.
  9. Isaak

Isaak Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu copen.
    Audi A6.
    Thread revival.
    Well, fast forward 5 years, car sitting in dry storage and not having the time, decided to give it to the mechanic to do his magic.
    It was a valve issue, see pics.
    Decided to get another engine off eBay which has been fitted and car is up and running, next step is the mot work and and repair or replace the front grill.
    Screenshot_20210516-070921_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20210516-070852_WhatsApp.jpg