1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Copen, have a question

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Scottie, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Scottie

Scottie Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Diahatsu copen 695CC
    Evening,

I have just bought a new Copen 695cc in Silver. When I took my hubby for a drive he noticed that it makes a kind of 'chirping' when it is cold and the revs are over 2,000. :think:

We are hoping that I haven't bought a 'lemon' as I would be most upset. I've only had the Copen for a week but have already fallen in love with it.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be? Oh, I should also say that the turbo was replaced in 2009 and it has been serviced every 5,000 miles since.

Thank you in advance.

2. Scottie

Car(s):
    Diahatsu copen 695CC
    Ok, update following service. The garage have said the 'chirping' is due to a leaking exhaust manifold gasket, yeah turbo is ok.... Now, where do I get an exhaust manifold gasket in the UK? Hubby called a garage in Bognor and was told it would have to be ordered from Japan and the lead time would be anywhere from 3 days to, wait for it, 3 MONTHS!!

Anyone know somewhere I could order one quicker than 3 months? I'm going on holiday soon and I really want to take my wee Copenhagen with me.

3. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    There are a few different gaskets - are you talking about the gasket from the exhaust to the turbo, the headers, etc. Here is a photo of the engine broken out

Here's a photo to give you an idea. I imagine Jesse Streeter, an importer a few of us use, could get you one in 2-3 weeks if you know the Daihatsu part number.

4. dunf

dunf Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen
    You could likely do a pretty solid temporary repair on an exhaust gasket with exhaust paste. I've done that on a few motors and lasted for a good while. Would tide you over until a new part arrives.

5. TooCopen

TooCopen Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7
    Hello Scottie,

Hope you have solved your gasket issue ;)
    In your first post, you mentioned "... and it has been serviced every 5,000 miles since."
    Service has to be done every 5000 km, or every 3000 miles :think:
    Use high quality oil, and may be better to change oil filter every time. Turbo is nice, but needs attention.
    Surely you know that :), but telling it is not worse : at the time you have to stop the engine, let it runs some seconds (10) at iddle rate before cutting off, so that the turbo speed will gently decrease before oil is no more draining it (when engine stops) ;)
    Sure you will have plenty of pleasure with you car :D

6. Scottie

Car(s):
    Diahatsu copen 695CC
    Thank you, I'm old school so put 5,000 miles instead of 5,000 km, my error sorry. Thank you for your advice, my hubby mentioned about letting the car idle before turning it off to allow the turbo to be oiled. This is my first car with a turbo so any advice is greatly appreciated.

7. Scottie

Car(s):
    Diahatsu copen 695CC
    We only bought the car a few weeks ago so we went back to the dealer and they are getting a garage to source and fit a new exhaust manifold gasket. Just need to wait another week and then my wee car will be driveable again... Yeah :eek:)

8. Scottie

Car(s):
    Diahatsu copen 695CC
    It's the exhaust manifold gasket I need. Luckily the dealers are having a garage source one and it should be getting fitted soon. Thank you for replying to my post. I appreciate all the replies I have received.

9. TooCopen

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7
    Hello Scottie,
    Hope this gasket will be replaced soon, and that you will appreciate your Copen "open roof" (y)
    I wish for you the best travel :)

Scottie likes this.
  10. Scottie

Car(s):
    Diahatsu copen 695CC
    Good news, my wee Copen is fixed. It was a bit of a journey getting here though. The garage we put the car into said they ordered the part from another garage, seven weeks later, it turned out they had not. My hubby called the Daihatsu helpline who advised that the garage had only ordered the part that Tuesday, after we had asked them why it had taken seven weeks and we still hadn't been told the part had arrived. Anyway the Daihatsu dealers advised that parts ordered should only take 6 days at the most to be delivered, interesting we thought.

Anyway, the part has arrived the car has been fixed and it is running beautifully, we only had to wait 8 weeks instead of the 6 days it should have taken.... Needless to say we won't be using that garage again.

11. TooCopen

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7
    Hello Scottie,
    Happy to read that it is, at last, repaired :happy:
    Does it mean that you cannot use your car during 8 weeks :sweating:
    Anyway, it's time to appreciate now :clap: