1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New and need advice please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Emma123, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Emma123

Emma123 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Fiat punto
    Hi all. There is some great advice on here. I don't have a copen yet but really hoping to get one. I am limited by where I live though. There is a possibility of me getting one but unsure of any details apart from its 2003. It may only be a 659cc so is this really a no no? Is it only the oil filter that needs changing after 3000 miles or does it need a full service. I live on guernsey so if nothing comes up here (fairly doubtful apart from the one spoken about earlier) I will need to get one from the U.K., this then involves an emissions charge and change of registration once back here. Are parts readily available? Thank you for any help.

Emma123, 55 minutes agoEditDeleteReport
    #8+ QuoteReply

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Hello
    If its from 2003 it might be one of the first, definitely a 660cc turbo that needs and oil change evers 3000 miles or half year.
    You can get most parts one way or another, but some come with quite a steep price. Regular service parts are cheap!
    If you decide on a Copen, make sure to check it for rust on the wheel arches, undercarriage and boot floor (underneath the carpet)

3. Emma123

Car(s):
    Fiat punto
    Thank you. I think I may hold out for a 1300cc then. Also I think I will have to try and find someone that can look around underneath for me.

4. Salieri

Car(s):
    I just had to look up where guernsey is, well, good luck :D

5. ronalddoes

ronalddoes Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2004 Copen 659 cc, 2009 Sirion 2 1000cc, 2010 Subaru Justy 1000cc
    Hi Emma,

As a long time admirer, short time owner of a 659cc Copen I can vouch for it being a truly wonderful little car. I wouldn't see why anyone would consider it a no no, some people (like me) prefer it over the 1300.

According to the Workshop Maintenance Manual, the 659cc requires:
    • an oil change every 3000 miles
    • an oil filter replacement every 6000 miles
    Some owners choose to replace the filter every 3000 miles as well, but Daihatsu requires only the oil to be changed, which is pretty easy and not very costly. Replacing the oil filter requires jacking up the car and some fiddling, but is doable as well.
    How much do you plan to drive on Guernsey annualy? (since it needs maintenance every 6 months, regardless of milage)

All in all, the 659 is a different kind of animal from the 1300, but in my opinion still a great, reliable and fun car.

Off-topic: driving a Copen on Guernsey sounds absolutely thrilling!

6. Emma123

Car(s):
    Fiat punto
    Hmm definitely food for thought here. I am going to carry on reading up on them and consider my options. They area ideal cars for here really being so small. I would imagine no more than 10,000 a year. But it would be used daily for work and would be my only car. I really love them but people have been trying to put me off due to parts. I now don't know if I am thinking with my heart and should be thinking with my head. I know absolutely nothing about cars so is the oil change easy? It could get costly taking it to the garage. I am new on here so can't see the manual yet. I am also concerned because I don't know much I will buy something I shouldn't i.e. Rust etc. thanks for you help by the way.

7. Salieri

Car(s):
    The 1.3 and the 0.6 are basically identical apart from the engine.
    Just draining the oil is very easy, you just need to undo one bolt. Changing the filter is a bit complicated on the 0.6, whereas its a 20 second job on the 1.3.
    If you do the work yourself, it should cost you around 20 quid :D
    In Germany spare parts are guaranteed until 2028; i don't know about other countries, but it should be the same. There is no Daihatsu dealer in Guernsey, so it might become problematic (but not impossible) sourcing them - regardless which model you choose.

However, it is advisable to have some knowledge of cars if you want a Copen, they need a little bit more care, especially when it comes to rust :D

8. Emma123

Car(s):
    Fiat punto
    How often does the oil need doing on the 1.3 model. In your opinion, and my obvious lack of knowledge of cars would I be better getting the 1.3. I am heading more towards that one now.

9. ronalddoes

ronalddoes Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2004 Copen 659 cc, 2009 Sirion 2 1000cc, 2010 Subaru Justy 1000cc
    The 1.3 requires an oil & filter change every 9000 miles.
    Of course there are more costs associated with car ownership than just oil, or maintenance for that matter.
    It's worth pointing out that Daihatsu's are among the world's most reliable cars, and, regardless of your choice of Engine, you're in for extremely low costs of ownership, compared to comparable cars.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Salieri likes this.
  10. Emma123

Car(s):
    Fiat punto
    Thank you. I think that going to be the one for me then.

11. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi Emma123

The Copen has so much character which is missing from so many modern cars. Its small and cute and it fits everywhere! I would recommend paying a bit extra for a car which has been looked after by an enthusiast. This will make sure that they have looked after it. From my experience the two things which you will have to contend with is rust/corrosion and water ingress. I have met many owners of these little marvels and no matter how careful you are with them, you will have some sort of corrosion to deal with and water entering the boot or cabin no mater how careful you are with them.

The key is to look after them and do the preventative work and minimise these issues from getting out of control. Corrosion is well documented on this site and elsewhere and ways of preventing and slowing it down. As for water entering the car, I have owned many convertibles and all of them is some form or another would let in water especially living in the UK. I have just accept this as normal. Saying that I have owned normal hatchbacks which let in water and or had rust spots.

For sure, driving and owning the Copen will bring so much joy and a big smile to your face and others!

12. Emma123

Car(s):
    Fiat punto
    Thank you for you great comments. I will definitely read up more on this site. I have been thinking about one for a while and this week have been rushing ahead with my thoughts but I think now I am going to take my time and the right one will come along. My problem is also location, I can't just go and see one at the drop of a hat.

13. Barry Copen

Barry Copen Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    58 reg. R40 red 1.3 Copen; now gone, I'm afraid.
    11 reg. MX5 2.0 Kendo
    68 reg. BMW 1 Series
    I've sent you a message, Emma.

14. Tyseley Vehiclebreakers

Tyseley Vehiclebreakers Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    used car part
  15. Salieri

Car(s):
    Nice covert advertising, but I live in Germany :D

16. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    When I looked at their site listing they had no Copen parts at all.