1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new and looking to go alittle faster

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by fraz1010, Jun 19, 2014.

1. fraz1010

fraz1010 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 0.6
    Hi, just got a great little copen for my wife, its the big 40. Its sat in the garage waiting for the big day, ive sorted the paint work, got afew nice leather bits with red trim from ebay, red floor mats and a nice chrome and wood boot rack. But id like to improve the performance alittle, or at least make it sound quicker. Ive seen lots of info on here regarding different air filters, the best looking like the hks mushroom, ive :think:been on ebay, but there are many different sizes and i could find a kit. Does anyono know the size hks filter i need along with any other parts?:think:

2. MrCopen

MrCopen Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 2004
    Hi Fraz,

HKS filter will surely give it a bit of a oomph to your car. I've installed it few months ago and certainly it's noticeable.

But the problem with HKS filters is that it makes weird scratchy noise when the air is sucking in. Maybe it's just me but when I take it off, I get none of that sound.

3. fraz1010

Car(s):
    Copen 0.6
    Hi, i had seen that the hks filter were the ones to go for,but wasnt sure whether i needed the 80mm or 100mm neck? Also do these fit directly onto the intake or do i need to purchase some hosing?

Cheerd

4. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    changing filter doesn't add much, if any, extra power. especially just on its own. I don't know if turbo cars are affected more or less than naturally aspirated. You can get better throttle response. But that also comes from improving the flow with in the inlet system.

5. fraz1010

Car(s):
    Copen 0.6
    Its a 2004 turbo version, not overly worried about getting loads more power, but if i could get it to sound abit more meaty that be be great, its already got a sports exhaust which helps, but i know when ive fitted induction kits to car in the past you can really hear it when you hit the loud pedel.

Other than that the car is great, my wife loves it and i got loads of extras off ebay to make it bespoke, black leather trim part with red sti'ing, red fllor mat, a front spoiler, red wheel nuts and a great chrome and wood boot rack, bit of a pain to fit but found some very useful tips on this site. I also got some red carbon wrap and did the plastic radio and heat control surround.

6. superspat

superspat Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    adding a induction will help the car breath better, all the 659cc turbos daihatsu engines fitted in the miras,moves, copens are all restricted big time by the exhausts,air filters and intercoolers, swap all these bits over for aftermarket more free flowing parts wil realises a lot more power, a de-cat also makes a massive difference, with these mods it will realise a lot of power, and with a bit of boost increase to 1bar you will be running around 80-85bhp

once ive got my new copen home i will making most the bits myself as ive done my avanzatos and will post up how to guides wand links to the parts as i refuse to pay £120 or what every it costs for a copen specific induction when one can be made for £30/40 and a couple of hours of spanner time

7. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    the scratchy noise is the turbo spooling up and boosting, as the compressor blades spin at crazy rpm, like a food blender blade but the turbo is mixing air which creates the sound you are talking about MRcopen

8. fraz1010

Car(s):
    Copen 0.6
    Hi, ill keep my eye out for the how too guides and links to building your own induction kit.

9. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    ive just gotta get the roof working first then will make a start, if its any thin glike the avanzatos it will be easy and very cheap