Need help with everything!

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by churchy, Jan 19, 2014.

1. churchy

churchy Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    copen 659cc
    Basically just got my 659cc copen and i want more, i wanna know how to make it go faster, sound better, look better, better audio, i just wanna pimp it. i am 17 so that is what i have to do to my car!

i was thinking about a black wrap on it but duno how to do that, dunno how to upgrage the audio, dunnno where to get parts for the copen, absolute novice, all help is apreciated x

2. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    Parts are mostly from Japan. So expensive.
    Power - get it remapped you could get 80/90 hp. But if your turbo isn't in good nick it may blow. They are prone to and expensive to replace.
    Sound better - get a noisy exhaust
    look better - thats your choice. but few body work add ons you can get. fuel cap cover is the big fave mode!
    audio - take the head unit out for a new one, even a double din by getting rid of the clock. Put new speakers in but there is not much room to put bigger ones in maybe just better quality ones. put bass speaker behind the seat.

3. churchy

Car(s):
    copen 659cc
    thank you!

firstly how do i tell if the turbo is good?
    how much would remapping cost and where would you get it done?
    exhaust can i just order one and bolt it on, if so where can i get one?
    where can i obtain these body bits?
    what an earth is a double din?

4. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    You can't. You only find out when it dies. Depends how often the oil changes have been. It needs doing every 3000 miles.
    I don't know the price 200, 300 quid?
    You could buy a bolt on one from Japan. I think it will be difficult to find one here, you'll probably need one made. Search net for people who make stainless steel exhausts.
    a normal size stereo is a single din. one that is twice is deep is a double din. The ones with a dvd screen.

5. churchy

Car(s):
    copen 659cc
    this all seems expensive lol, shoulda stuck to my scooter x

6. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    if your turbo goes, you'll not get much change out of £1000. And would you be fitting it yourself! It is fairly expensive car for its size.

7. churchy

Car(s):
    copen 659cc
    okay, if i was to upgrade the car, how would i go about getting, say 100 horses out of the girl, what would i upgrade, where will these upgrades be found and how do i get them cheaper than the astronomical price you will say to me?

8. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    have a rich daddy
    steal them
    watch back episodes of blue peter and make them yourselves

if you want 100 is a copen you'd probably want some wider rubber to put the power down unless you have ample supply of rubber to burn up.

you only need an exhaust and ecu remap for the turbo model.

if you put too many horses into it you've then not got the right gearing. first will be useful for 0-2 mph.

9. churchy

Car(s):
    copen 659cc
    so just an exhaust and a remap really? that sounds good, if i was to upgrade turbo once i manage to break this one would that require another remap, when i ask a guy to make me an exhaust what do i say, make it go faster? and nothing like an aftermarket airfilter....finally, where can i find a BOV thant will sound so good?

10. Crystal copen

Crystal copen Copenworld Member

Someone with more Copen knowledge will be more help here, but usually when your tuning any turbocharged car (especially fitting a different turbo) a remap is required. You can fit pretty much any turbo to any car if you've got the cash, but the turbo choice is very important. Too small and usually it won't make as much power as your standard one, too big and it might ruin the cars drivability and make it very laggy (the turbo takes ages to spool up and you end up with a slower car for everyday use with silly bhp and its more of a 100+mph monster!.....like I did) :rolleyes: If your just swapping a turbo like for like then no remap should be needed as its the same as what's just come off. You can get reconditioned turbos or even Chinese copies on ebay these days, or get yours turned into a hybrid, fit different exhaust housings, billet wheels etc etc. loads you can do but again pretty pointless going to the effort if you can't remap it to suit.....

When the engines cold, start it up and go to the back and look at the tail pipes, if its very cold outside then you'll get some smoke coming out as normal. If the turbo's on its way out then its usually a pretty thick blue colour which could mean the turbo seals have gone and oils getting in. Another way is test drive it, & look out the rear mirror when you floor it. Any puffs of smoke and its on its way out. You should also feel a drop in performance.

I'm onto that tonight and I'll see what happens! I can't find anything here in the UK (are you in the UK?) Jap tuners apparently won't work back here but there's a couple places in Germany who can remap, and I'm hoping it can be done by post and I'm really hoping its plug & play, so take the original one out (keep it safe!!!) and fit the remapped ecu, turn the key and off you go? (Bet were not that lucky though!) Sounds expensive though! I think I've been spoiled with £100 remaps over the years! Usually a remap is between say £450-£650 depending on application and the type of map, how it's loaded on etc. but as said there's nothing I can find back here, tried all the big players but no joy :-((

That's another job for this year, ours is blowing a little and has shifted off center so needs sorting. We've got a fantastic exhaust builder in Cardiff called Pro Speed, I'll be taking it there and see how much a cat back system is, and enquire about full system from the turbo back (3" or 2.5" downpipe....whatever's best suited) Basically with a turbo car and the exhaust, you get the most power from fitting a larger diameter downpipe as this is less restrictive and gets the exhaust gasses out quicker. A race cat/sports cat will also improve things same as a de-cat but won't give loads of extra power (probably opened a can of worms there but that's what I've found tuning different cars!) Changing the cat back will give hardly any increase in power, maybe 1 or 2 bhp but nothing noticeable.....but its a lot louder so you'll be driving quicker :p

Off the shelf stainless exhausts tend to be pricey, sometimes its cheaper to get one custom made.....depends where you go vs what's available for the car.

Dump valve/Blow off valve (bov) that's another bit of a myth, no performance increase noticed, but you have to get the correct one fitted or it might play hell with the car. Not sure of the Copen can use an atmospheric valve (goes phsst when you change gear) or if it needs a re-circulating valve (doesn't go phsst) Also the valve needs the correct spring fitted, too strong and it won't phsst and drive correctly, too weak and it does phsst but feels terrible. Forge do some nice valves and also sell a tuning kit with different springs/shims depending on how much boost your running.

Fitting a larger intercooler is always a sure way for some extra oomph, I prefer the Chinese ebay intercoolers and I'll be getting another for my v6 but I don't think any will fit the copen as they're pretty big. Prices vary wildly here....some firms really do take the piss!

Aftermarket stereos (head units) usually come in single din or double din, you've probably got a single din fitted, ours came with a Clarion single din, double din would be twice the size. Usualy the double din Head Unit is a DVD player or sat nav, and 90% of the time you get a better quality head unit in single din form and they tend to be a lot cheaper. Certainly get a better Sound Quality (SQ) head unit in single din form unless you spend big buck on a pen all singing all dancing double....

Single DIN
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units?cat=14

Double DIN
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units?cat=63

What's your budget for the audio? You can get some really nice 2nd hand kit for not a lot of cash these days, usually the older 90's stuff is best. I've got pretty much all used high end audio in my Saab which cost a fraction of what they did new, the speakers alone were around £2k new so it's definitely worth looking out and waiting for the decent kit to pop up. When the weather gets better I'm making a start on ours, nothing fancy but should make a nice improvement over standard. I'll knock a thread up when I do it, probably in March. (Still got loads to do on mine!)

One thing some guys forget to do or just don't bother is add some sound deadening to the car, you haven't got to go mad but a few sheets of deadening in the door really makes a difference.

HTH Dave

11. churchy

Car(s):
    copen 659cc
  12. churchy

Car(s):
    copen 659cc
    my budget for audio is not great, i have like a £100 head unit from defender and a £100 active sub just gonna drop that in and see how it goes, im more of a drumb and bass guy

13. Crystal copen

:eek:Missed that bit! I'd sack any performance ideas, your insurance will sky rocket like you won't believe!!! Just fit a better system (can be done very cheaply) and wait a couple years then when you've got some NCD and the premiums a little cheaper....start modifying it bit by bit!

14. Crystal copen

Well Kenwood do a really nice cheap headunit that plays FLAC files, there's no CD player with this just a USB slot for a memory stick or iPhone/iPod. But for under 50 quid it wipes the floor with more expensive units. There's also only one RCA pre out so if you like your bass maybe you'll need two or three preouts so you have an amp for the door speakers and one for the sub?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-KMM-257-Mechaless-Receiver-Control/dp/B00BJ0VH2K

Amp wise there's loads of good old amps on ebay under £40/50. Alpine V12 & JBl GTO series are very good amps that can be had pretty cheap. Not a lot of space for a big amp though so I'd get the measuring tape out first. I'm putting out amp under the passenger seat but its only a small 2 channel so should be ok. I'll probably fit a small active sub under the other seat later in the year of she wants one.

15. Crystal copen

Good find! That's also a pretty good price! If they can remap by post (you send them an ecu and they send it back all good to go) then I'm definitely interested!

I think there's a HKS upgrade turbo available but having had HKS bits in the past it'll be big bucks! Garrett make equivalent turbos with similar if not identical specs so there's probably a little Garrett turbo out there somewhere that will fit. But again.....you'll need the map to suit, and as its a different (and probably one off/unusual) turbo for the car it will need a custom tune.

16. churchy

Car(s):
    copen 659cc
    fear not about budget and tuning, the reason i got a copen is because i would like to modify my car whatever it is, but because its a copen my mum and dad both wanna drive it and if what i do makes it more fun for them, its all good, my dad is 65 you cannot imagine the joy he would get from letting off the throttle then hearing a supersonic dump valve, he has waited all his lif for that, bless

17. churchy

Car(s):
    copen 659cc
    ps i have sent some emails to companys as i have found some distributers on a large scale of turbos for the copen :)

18. ilain

ilain Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hey man... might I suggest you head to youtube and watch some videos about modding cars to have a better idea of what you need to improve your car's performance. I recommend 'mighty car mods' channel. I learnt quite a bit of useful info from the guys there. If you are looking for more boost for your car you may have to consider supporting mods for the increased boost so as not to harm the car.

19. churchy

Car(s):
    copen 659cc
    i can see site offering aftermarket parks for the copen but no one selling anything/!!!!!

20. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Get full NCB protection. I made that mistake - car got stolen, and rolled back 2 years.