1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help roof does not close ?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by lamster, Dec 28, 2010.

1. lamster

lamster Copenworld Member

ok it seems I have a problem now and here is the story:

1.roof would not open-flashing light shown when open switch engaged

2.got home and parked the car in the garage- tried the switch again and the roof opened !

3.attempted to close the roof- roof would not close and flashing light appears

4.looked around car and saw the silicone rubber jammed slightly on the rear left small window and fixed that. open and close the boot electronically that is fine.

5.tried the close button again and flashing light appears- at this point I am getting worried

6.ok I leave the car and see if it fixes itself-come back and try the open roof button again.....a opening noise occurs " luck !" then stops and light appears that is now solid. Roof is still in fully closed position.

7.now I try and open the boot with the car key, it cannot open. I try and open the boot with the internal button and it cannot open. I try my windows and they do not close. The indicator is now on a solid red....this is not a good sign.

8.ok now i am really worried hence me posting this note. I'll let the car sit for a while and see if anything works tomorrow morning........

If you have any similar experiences or suggestions please let me know. I think I may have to manually close the roof if all else fails and seek some professional help.

Cheers

Michael

2. lammy

lammy Copenworld Newbie

A problem I had with the roof was due to the handbrake switch not functioning (handbrake needed to be on for roof to work)- hope this helps !

3. cobilly

cobilly Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Audi 80 B2
    Mitsubishi Pajero 2d GDI
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    I hope you will not need this but in case it still does not work, the users manual has a section called "lf the Active Top will not close" (10-24). Maybe you find something there.

4. lamster

update on roof problem progess

latest update-I got the roof to close now so I can drive and use the car. I fiddled with the wire connections near the rood control CPU adjacent the boot jack and that seemed to get the thing going.

Now when I try and open the roof (from the closed position) the boot opens half way and the sequence then stops. What could be the problem ? it is a mystery ? also it sound like the hydraulics is straining somewhat and the windows opening and closing are not as smooth ? this thing is very temperamental.

.....any suggestions guys ? battery, electrics or hydraulics ? ...... should I get battery changed ?

cheers

michael

5. andyscopen

andyscopen Copenworld Newbie

hi has same problem with the windows sticking and it was due to the battery being rubbish changed it and it has fixed my window problems it sounds like this could be the cause of your faults

6. lamster

roof problem update FIXED !

Ok I seemed to have fixed the roof problem by replacing the car battery. The garage tested my old battery and it was in poor condition.

-If your roof indicator is flashing red and all your catches, boot space divider and boot is in place I recommend checking out your battery.

-If your roof partially open and closes or your windows do not go up well I also recommend checking out your car battery condition.

Hope this helps all.

cheers

Michael

7. smx

smx Copenworld Member

Good to know.

Cheers, Andy

8. Lotuseater

Lotuseater Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen
    Just thinking on - do you operate the roof with the engine running? Would suggest that any battery issue would not come into play? In fact I'm sure the manual says something about operating the roof with the engine running?

Anyway, main thing is all is working well!

Enjoy.

9. machinehead

machinehead Copenworld Pioneer

Good result and thanks for the information.

I also have only ever operated the roof with the engine running but it's good to be aware of the potential problem.

M.

10. lamster

hi

hi all

Previously I quite commonly opened or closed the roof with the engine not running, however I think I will be doing it now with the engine running. My battery was showing 8 volts when it should show 12 volts, however I could still start my car with that kind of low voltage. It was on its way out definately and needed a change.

cheers

michael

11. lamster

gremlin is back temporaily

ok it seems the gremlin is back temporarily, roof opened fine but would not close, opened boot and blew on the lock and closed the boot. Roof then closed itself fine again .

go figure that out ?