1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a favour.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DaG, Jul 30, 2013.

1. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Could some nice person on here take a picture of the bonnet of their Copen.
    A close up of where the front bottom corner of the bonnet meets the wing. My bonnet sits about 6mm below where it joins the wing and I need to know if it should sit flush. Hope that's understandable. :)

The bonnet and wing shut line is perfect all the way down to the join of the front bumper and wing, it then tapers down until the corner of the bonnet is about 6mm lower than the bumper.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  2. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    I hope this is what you mean... Right

Attached Files:

3. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    I hope this is what you mean... Left

Attached Files:

4. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    That's exactly where I meant and it looks like mine isn't right. My car has had a new bonnet fitted and the line now isn't clean and even like yours.
    If I grip the corner of the bonnet and lift up the lines go right again but after a few seconds drops back down. I'm sure that pulling it up past the correct point and releasing will put it right but with a risk of me damaging it.
    I'll take it back to the body shop and they can take the risk for me, it cost enough. Thanks for that Clare.:)

5. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
  6. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    what is the other side like? protrudes?

7. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    It's kind of the same but probably a couple of millimetres less sunk.
    They've had the car for two weeks and have done a decent job apart from that detail.
    They originally said 5 working days for the work but said that after stripping down they needed to order more parts and it would take another week. The wife rang them and was told they were still waiting for the chrome bumper and she didn't question it.:D It would look nice in chrome, possibly.

8. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    so is it that the bonnet corners are turned in more than the previous one? or are the hinges not quite on the same line, ie distance between them, so that it pinches the bonnet and if it bellys up a bit I think those corners would be pulled inwards a bit.

or would the curve of the front end be too strong it bend it in that much. the bonnet would be under some compression

9. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    It looks like the the corners of the bonnet are turned in too much because the lines are ok until the last 5" or so.
    As I said if I lift the corners the lines are fine but I'm not going to pull them up enough to risk a crease in the bonnet.
    Plus as you say it should be bent upwards all the way along the bonnet which won't be easy. Ill have anther look tomorrow and look for hinge problems or anything else that could throw it all out and then contact the body shop. Thanks for your input.

10. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    As an aside the body shop seems to have done something to my alloys and now they look fantastic. The painted areas on the inside of the spokes had areas of black blisters that I couldn't get clean and I thought would need wet and drying and and painting. I don't know what they've cleaned them with but the blisters are gone and no black bits in site. I'll have to find out what they used its far better than those don't work alloy cleaning foams you can buy