Mysterious lack of power.

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by David Alcock, Oct 5, 2016.

1. David Alcock

David Alcock Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 2/3 litre
    Hello everyone. My partner recently bought a Copen (2/3 litre) with a dead turbo. That's been replaced but there is still a lack of power. It's been at our local garage since August while they keep trying to find the cause, but to no avail. Split/leaky pipes have all been checked. Everyone seems at their wits' end, none of the Sheffield auto-electric techs are interested. Does anyone on here have any suggestions where to look next?

Yours in despair, David

2. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    I guess they did a compression test?

How about a blocked exhaust? Possible the cat got blocked with oil from faulty turbo.

welz likes this.
  3. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    yes ,check this first..:) i had need lots of miles to blow the engine free after change..and lot of oelchanges:oops::oops:maybe they can messure the boost power..0 to 0.7 until 6500 rpm..

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  4. Bemused

Bemused Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    You can check the boost with a fivers worth of OBD2 reader and check for any fault codes at the same time.
    OBD2 blue tooth reader on ebay or amazon, highly recomended device.
    Pleanty of free apps, I use Torque Lite.

5. David Alcock

David Alcock Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 2/3 litre
    Thanks for the suggestions. Turbo compression is fine. The mechanic has read every code possible, but can't track down the problem. Fairly sure he's checked the cat but will pop in tomorrow... Anyone have any other useful guesses? My mechanic suspects there might be a faulty sensor he can't identify that might be causing lack of fuel... He's had it two months now, and diligently spends an hour trying to figure it out each day after work - and he's not charging for this. He's as frustrated as we are, but likes a challenge, yet I feel he's going to admit defeat soon.