1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My tail pipe fell off!

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Scareysue, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Scareysue

Scareysue Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen Vivid
    I've been away on holiday, so poor little Torito Rojo has been sat sulking. To calm him down I took him for a spin on Sunday, and when we got back I noticed the near side tail pipe was gone :-((

I don't know if it fell off in transit, or if someone has "borrowed" it while I've been away :mad: but I need to get one. Does anyone have the part details to hand, and a guide price? I don't want to go to a garage to be told a £8.99 part costs £150 - you know what I mean.

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    It's happened before. I'm affraid it's not going to cheap. You need a new rear section of the exhaust.

This is what you need:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAIHATSU-...CarParts_SM&hash=item19c9b00b6b#ht_1703wt_689

Check the rest of the exhast system. It may also be on the edge of failing.
    Look under the car just behind the drivers door. You'll see a large baffle, look at the welds. When the front section goes it will fail at these weld points.

The full system is:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAIHATSU-...CarParts_SM&hash=item19c9b0070a#ht_1690wt_689

You'll need to pay fitment on top of these prices.

Alternatively you could get a full custom stainless steel system fitted for about £350.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  3. Scareysue

Car(s):
    Copen Vivid
    Thanks Adam. I'll let you know how it goes

4. machinehead

machinehead Copenworld Pioneer

The same thing happened to be a couple of years ago.

I found the best and cheapest answer was a full system in stainless steel.

£350 with a 10 year warranty. Cheaper than a Daihatsu system in mild steel.

M.

5. Scareysue

Car(s):
    Copen Vivid
    Well, the exhaust system is sound. It's been up on the ramp today, and it's only the chrome extender that has come off - the weld seems to have failed. The garage say it's perfectly okay, so my only real decision comes to aesthetics. Has anyone experience of the chrome extenders you attach with a couple of grub screws? Do you have to keep tightening them so they don't fall off?

6. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Once the grub screw is secured to the pipe it shouldn't budge.
    You only need to find one that's long enough & the correct diameter to match the other side.
    If it was me, I'd buy a new rear tail pipe system.
    As you can see in the first eBay item I gave a link to, of the rear section, it dosen't have a baffle in it. As your garage says it's only asthetics as the baffle is on the front section. At least you know that bit is okay.

7. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen