My first autumn/winter with the Copen

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Soc, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    I was wondering what it is like living with the Copen on a daily basis during our colder/wetter months? Can the Copen be used as an everyday car or is it best just as a weekend/summer treat?

Its not the first time I have had a convertible during the winter but its the first with such a small car.

Cheers

2. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    Of course it's an everyday car, you have heated seats to keep you warm and aircon to keep the windows clear of mist. it's front wheel drive so better than many in the ice and wet. We both use our Copens daily and nothing else and this will be our third Copen winter - keep smiling :)

3. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    I've used my Copen daily for 7 years now. It's been absolutely no problem, even through bad winters when I lived back in the UK.

The only real problem I had was getting stuck in the work car park in heavy snow, but the Copen is so small I could easily push it and get it moving again!

Use it and enjoy! :)

4. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    It will soon be five years since I bought mine; the first 450km drive from the dealership home was in an ice storm without winter tyres...

As long as you keep the car clean from the outside (take the snow/ice/salt off) and make sure the interior does not get too wet (otherwise everything will fog up instantly) you will be fine.

In terms of driving: It does not have ESP, so you have to be careful, but apart from that there is no problem. Driving like on rails as usual

5. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    I drive my Copen daily and have had it for 3 1/2 years now with no problem. I have got winter tyres on mine but I got them due to issues with driving my old Nissan Figaro in ice making me paranoid rather than any problem I have experienced with my Copen.

6. Neil50

Neil50 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 Copen, yellow red leather interior
    2006 525d BMW 5 Series Touring MSport
    Audi A2
    It is small, lightweight and the weight of the engine over the drive wheels so it should be good. If you interior steams up, drop the roof and tutn on the heater to keep your toes warm.