1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Turbo Issues

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Snowman001, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Snowman001

Snowman001 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    So looking at the forum half the posts are about this... :|

Today after work i jumped in my car for the short journey home i seemed to have no power. usually when i start driving when i put my food down there is 1 1/2 seconds and then BOOM the turbo i guess kicks in and i get some power.

Before i panic (already have) about the cost what steps can i take myself to diagnose that this is really a dead turbo and nothing else simple like a loose pipe ?

I have checked the engine codes and there are no errors (apart form my usual roof ones). There are no error lights on the dash.

From what i can see the turbo seems to be hidden behind the front bumper and the radiator, is this correct?

2. stickypinkyfinger

stickypinkyfinger Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Widearch Daihatsu Copen R
    Race tuned Dinli 450 RS
    Suzuki GSXR600
  3. Snowman001

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thank you for this, your pictures are clear and it looks like a strait swap-out though the car is almost disassembled at that point so not sure where i need to get there first. If you could break this down into 4 steps what would they be:

1: Remove the front bumoper
    2: Remove XXX
    3: make sure XXX in removed
    4: Change the turbo.

I would like to do a dry run this weekend before i order a new turbo encase its a split hose that i have already read about. At this stage i cant even see the turbo.

On another note will driving without the turbo hurt my car in anyway. Apart from lack of power i can still get around my little town fine and can get to 70MPH on the motorway.

Regards
    Paul

4. stickypinkyfinger

Car(s):
    Race tuned Dinli 450 RS
    Suzuki GSXR600
    Hi.
    I is going to need more than 4 steps but will try be as realistic as i can.
    most of the bolts are 10mm, 12mm and 14mm. 1 bolt will be 17mm.
    I have also cut a part of the metal shild away so i can easily take parts through the front of the car like the cat pipe.

1. Jack the car up, Remove the front bumper then remove all the induction pipes (intercooler, Air intake and the pipes at the top of the engine)
    2. Remove the bolts from the exhaust/Cat from underneath
    3. take the turbo heat sink off
    4. remove the bolts from the top of the manifold
    5. remove the sensor from the Cat.
    6. remove the water feed pipe
    7. remove the oil feed pipe
    8. remove the cat pipe
    9 soon as the cat is off there is a small 12 mm bolt hiding behind the turbo
    10 after this is done, The turbo should then come off.

Have a look at the page before the one I posted on here as will give you a better view. If your able to get 70 MPH then I wouldnt say you have turbo faults as when i had turbo faults, my car wouldnt rev above 4000RPM. I would take off the intercooler and the air induction, Poke your finger in the left side of the turbo and see if you have play on the turbo wheel, this will tell you if your turbo is failing. If youdont have play then wouldnt worry about it and just carry on with the pipe work. Hope this helps

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  5. Snowman001

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi Stinky,

Its taken a while but i have my new turbo at my house and i was planning to do the swapped over the logn weekend or at least attempt it. I have printed our your notes and also the workshop manual. Here is where i have the question there seems to be two gaskets that you are not supposed to re-use. Where did you get the replacements?

I have attached the picture with relevant details.

Attached Files:

6. stickypinkyfinger

Car(s):
    Race tuned Dinli 450 RS
    Suzuki GSXR600
    Woe Woe, "Stinky?" hahaha Sticky!

If they dont have a crack in them then it will be fine to re-use. I reused mine and everything is fine. The 2 gaskets are on the turbo to the manifold and from the turbo to the cat down pipe. They will bee one of the last things you will see.

7. justcopen

justcopen Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    copen 04
    ps, make sure you cleanthe turbo oil feed pipes spotless clean