1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MISTY HEADLAMPS

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by peedee, Mar 4, 2019.

1. peedee

peedee Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    As a recently new owner of a Copen I am going over the car looking at what needs to be done to make her truly wonderful.

I have found so much information out from these forums, which is great but con not find anything relating to misty/foggy head lights.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and how was it resolved.

Cheers

2. Dirk Thrust

Dirk Thrust Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen, Honda Civic Type-R (FK2)
    Another new Copen owner in Soton - greetings ! I’ve similar ‘problems’ with our recent acquisition, and I’m trying to work out whether it’s moisture inside the lights, or hazing of lens itself but I suspect there’s a little of both.

Not wanting to dig too deep under the wheel arches just yet, I was going to try some ultra fine wet and dry paper (plenty of masking on the surrounding panels) followed by some metal polish on a mop to see if that’ll do the job. I seem to remember rumours that toothpaste can also do a pretty good job of polishing too.

Depending on that how goes I might then look into popping them out and having a look to see how well they’re sealed up, but that’s apparently a bumper off job which I’ll probably save until the summer when we don’t need Dobby for the school run and kill several rusty birds with one stone.

3. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Foggy from the inside because of condensation or foggy from the outside because of wear?
    If it's the latter, you could try the following:

Just don't do it in Germany, its forbidden :D

4. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    peedee likes this.
  5. peedee

peedee Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Dirk Thrust, yes I seem to remember seeing somewhere about tooth paste being good at polishing too. Like you I will try the polishing first before taking the front of the car off to replace them.
    Cheers Salieri and Welz for the advice and vids on how to clean them.

Yesterday I attempted to change the spark plugs (I'm not great with cars and its been 30 years since I last worked on one), Didn't realise I had to dismantle the top part of the engine, so will be doing it today!

6. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Nip to Halfords and buy a bottle of PlastRX (now a tenner but was cheaper) and any old applicator pad or microfibre cloth. Mask the paintwork under the light, lift the bonnet, and make with the elbow grease. It cleared my MX-5 lights a treat. I did it in September and they’re still looking good.

peedee likes this.
  7. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    I used meguiars headlamp restoration kit. It worked pretty well for me

peedee likes this.
  8. Dirk Thrust

Dirk Thrust Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen, Honda Civic Type-R (FK2)
    peedee likes this.
  9. lex schotel

lex schotel Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    daihatsu copen 2004 ,, lamborghini murcielago
    I didnt read all the info , but this is what I do , give the lights a wash , get 2000 wet and dry and give it a rub in all directions use a garden hose while you rubbing it back . dry it off and check if all of the area is now dull .
    get some cut and pollish , or just cut and spend 5 min or so polishing the dull lights .
    job done ,

10. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
  11. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    I agree with @welz that a UV blocker is useful but I didn’t use one on the MX-5. 10 months on and the main lens is still clear but a little bit of fringing around the edge of the unit, possibly because I didn’t want to catch the paint and the Mazda lights are recessed.

I’ve just (as in today) given both lenses a very light polish again with RX mainly because of light scratches from driving.

12. lex schotel

lex schotel Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    daihatsu copen 2004 ,, lamborghini murcielago
    hi folks
    no i dont use the blocker ... i just do this on a regular base , doesnt take long , about 15 min all up .
    long time no hear from you welz :)
    but i might do it next time before i rub thru the plastic lol

13. Debz

Debz Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen roadster