1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MIL Light and Clutch

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by David Hamer, Aug 19, 2017.

1. David Hamer

David Hamer Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen, Skoda Citigo, Volvo 940
    Hi
    Picked up my Copen yesterday. 05 plate, 659cc turbo with 60k miles and it is fabulous, like driving a roller skate. It has a couple of niggles and I don't know how concerned to be. Maybe some of you can advise:
    • The clutch is very heavy and the biting point is well down the pedal travel. Is this normal or should I be planning a new clutch. It's certainly at odds with the delicate nature of the car otherwise; and
    • after an hour or so of town driving the MIL light (engine management light) came. The handbook threatens dire warnings of damage to the catalytic converter and recommends taking it to a dealer which is not an option in the UK. Should I just wait and see if it goes away again? It has been standing for some time before I bought it.
    Any and all thoughts welcome.

2. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    I have an 04 with 70K miles and the clutch is super light, but either on, or off - there seems to be very little in between the two extremes. The biting point is about halfway down.

3. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    I have the 1.3 liter engine and the clutch is very hard compared to "modern cars"
    Never ignore a MIL light, get the fault codes checked out at any dealership (genuine Daihatsu would be best, which are listed here: www.daihatsu.co.uk). This way you know whats wrong and whether its urgent to fix

Your Majesty likes this.
  4. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
  5. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    - have to agree. I've driven three Copens and the clutch was unforgiving on all of them. It will teach you how to drive again ;)

6. Chrismadeley

Chrismadeley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen Vivid Special Edition
    I resolved repeated random/multiple misfire problems by fitting a new battery. Not had the MIL light come on since then!

7. marnob

marnob Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    When I bought my Copen the Clutch had just been replaced, 105,000kms. You wouldn't have thought so as the pedal was about a inch from the floor before it engaged!?
    They had replaced the cable as well.
    I got it cheap as the roof wasn't working either.
    Anyway, as I had seen the receipt for the clutch replacement I figured it was a bad adjustment, which it turned out to be.
    They a not hydrolic but cable.
    There is an easy adjustment on the cable if you look under the bonnet on the passenger side. You can't miss it. I did it by hand but you may need to use a spanner.
    For some reason it tends to stick. Hop back in the cab and pump it a few times and then go back and you may find you can get a bit more adjustment from it?
    Spray it with silcone or CRC regularly.
    When I had the gearbox out, to replace a leaking selector shaft seal, the same thing happened after I picked it up.
    The adjustment was near the same so it needs a bit of mucking around with. I did it while driving not on the driveway.
    Not sure how long a clutch on these lasts but I had to do one on my Audi S3 (expensive) at 125,000kms.
    Perhaps you may get 100,000mls out of it but I am sure other members should be able to estimate that and of course it depends how you drive it?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017