MGMT light on, need computer in Midlands

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by bluehawaii90, Feb 12, 2016.

1. bluehawaii90

bluehawaii90 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen, Mini Cooper SD
    Morning all,

There was a strange light in the sky yesterday so I gave the Mini the day off and took the Copen to work. I didn't notice straight away so i'm not sure when it happened, but the engine management light has appeared and is stuck on now. I've only used it a handful of times since November (the battery went flat over Christmas after being sat for a month) so I've taken it for a good run but its still there. It seems to be running fine though.

I figured I need it looking at, but none of the Garages near me have a computer that will read Japanese cars apparently! I'm based around junction 26 on the M1 (Nottingham), does anyone know of a place that will read error codes in the Notts, Derby, Sheffield, Leicester area?

Cheers,
    Lauren
    0.6 2005 Silver 50k

2. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    If it's a standard error code, any OBD-II compliant reader will work. Some local motorfactors will check the code for free if you ask nicely.

I say standard error code, as there are non-standard / manufacturer specific codes that aren't covered under the OBD-II specification / legislation. The Copen *does* have non-standard / manufacturer specific codes, like most cars on the road, that related to things like the roof (which I don't think throws a check engine light, but may be mistaken) or the immobiliser. I don't believe that a non-standard code should make the CEL / MIL to turn on in the Copen, but I'm open to correction.

3. bluehawaii90

Car(s):
    Copen, Mini Cooper SD
    Hi, found a HiQ garage this morning, he's hooked it up and it's showing a p0135 code (lambda sensor). He reckons nearly £300 because he may have to replace part of the exhaust at the same time...I've never had any work done on the Copen before, does that sound like a rip off (it does to me)?

4. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    For 350 all in, you can get a new stainless exhaust from http://www.roarpower.co.uk/daihatsu_copen_stainless_steel_exhaust.htm . Dunno where they are based in location to you as my UK geography isn't great.

I'm unsure if P0135 is for the pre or the post cat lambda sensor... my gut says pre cat as the code is bank 1 sensor 1. Pre cat lambda is about 90 pounds, post cat is about 50 from MicksGarage (denso). Since the code indicates it's the heating element of the lambda, you could try cleaning the contacts of the connector and see if it goes away... unlikely as I'd say the sensor is knackered, but worth a shot seeing as it's 90 pounds. Run a multimeter across the terminals and check for continuity. Burnt out heating elements are common in Toyota-ish cars

If the roar power guys are nice, they might install them for you if you buy them yourself - no harm in asking. When I got my SS exhaust, they installed some brake shoes for me I bought myself as well as the existing ones were nearing their end of life, but I didn't use Roar seeing as I'm based in Ireland :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  5. bluehawaii90

Car(s):
    Copen, Mini Cooper SD
    @Number6 have you ever seen a manual for the copen that shows where everything is? i'm pretty sure they don't do a haynes manual for it. I'm using the copen as a second car now it's got to 50k and the idea is to do the work on it myself but i have no idea where anything is (i work in computers not cars).

6. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    The best thing we have is the workshop manual (Haynes on steroids), which is under Resources at the top of the forums.

Edit: I work with the computers as well :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  7. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Here's a snip from file B09 of the chassis part of the manual. Might be of use

Attached Files: