1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Massive fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by stonemanty, Oct 15, 2014.

1. stonemanty

stonemanty Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS
    Copen 660cc
    I bought my 660cc partly as a cheap run about but it's using more fuel than my two gas guzzlers! I thought it could be my lead foot so ive driven it carefully and did some 100kph motorway but still awful

there is an occasional smell of fuel but not to an obvious leak extent - any ideas please?

Thanks
    Andy

2. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Hi Andy,

did you check the airfilter-element for dirt?

Could you please give some more details on
    You can also click here to compare your consumption with other Copen.

Andreas

3. stonemanty

Car(s):
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS
    Copen 660cc
    Hi Andreas,

I have a Porsche 997 GT3 and a Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS, both of which achieve about 20 mpg, I'm not familiar with L/100km so I'll need to measure it hower it does about 200km on half a tank implying over 10L per 100km?

Thanks
    Andy

4. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Hi Andy,

sorry, spritmonitor website only seems to allow changing the measurement units when you are registered. :(
    But here's a good website for converting Imperial mpg to L/100km, L/100km to Imperial mpg:
    http://www.checkyourmath.com/convert/fuel_economy/imperial_mpg_liters_per_100km.php
    Achievement? :-(( :D:D:D

Well, that very much depends on your driving style, I achieved this kind of consumption with my 660cc when going 150 km/h and above on motorways. From 130 km/h upwards the little engine tends to swallow a lot.

But the airfilter definitely also is worth checking.

Andreas

5. threepot

threepot Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, Hijet, Celica, and Yaris!
    Check these following sensors are working, you can do it with either a multimeter, or some kind of OBD2 live data tool/scanner. For copens I use one of these for most of what I need on customers cars http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vgate-Sca...788?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5b029859a4

The sensors you want to check are:-

TPS sensor - make sure it show 0% with the accelerator pedal up and 100% when down, then graph it and make sure you get a smooth signal as you press it slowly.

MAP sensor, make sure it is giving you a good vacuum reading when ticking over, atmosphere with the engine off, and it measures the boost when you spank it down the road. Graphing is the best bet again.

Lambda sensor - make sure you get a nice wave form between 0.2 and 0.8 volts when the engine is ticking over when properly warm, then take it for a drive and make suer you are getting readings within 0.2 and 0.8 volts when cruising along.

I suspect one of these sensors will be not working.

If you need support, come and see me in Congleton.

6. stonemanty

Car(s):
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS
    Copen 660cc
    Thanks Threepot (and sorry for the delay in replying)

That's really helpful, I'm having it checked out tomorrow and I'll pass these details on - I'd certainly love to come to Congleton, but I'm in Hong Kong and I'd be bankrupt with the fuel cost as it stands!

7. stonemanty

Car(s):
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS
    Copen 660cc
    Hi Andreas - thanks for the tip, I'll get the air filter checked out

Regards
    Andy

8. stonemanty

Car(s):
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS
    Copen 660cc
    Hi,

Just a quick thanks for your help and advice. I passed on the ideas and the dealer seems to have fixed the problem; I've managed 220km on half a tank of 'fairly spirited' driving, so I can live with that. He's also sorted the choked filler neck so I can actually fill it now!

regards
    Andy