Malfunction Light

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Florrie, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Florrie

Florrie Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 2005
    Hi Guys
    Newbie here. Only had my lovely beauty 2 weeks and the malfunction light has come on. Everything was running well until then. Changed the battery on the Wednesday, service on the Friday and the light lit up on last Sunday. Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. dunf

dunf Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen
    No way to guess really. You'll have to plug in a reader and get the fault code.

3. Florrie

Car(s):
    Copen 2005
    Sorry, complete girlie on this stuff! . Have borrowed a code reader and it is coming up P0314 - single cylinder misfire - clyinder not specified.

4. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    P0314 can be a fairly serious error code, so I'd start with the following:

1) Clean the injectors -- Cheapest
    Fill her up with decent petrol, and dump in a bottle of Redex injector cleaner.

2) Change the spark plugs -- Medium
    Go for the proper Iridium spark plugs, don't cheap out on the copper ones.

3) Change the HT leads -- Pricey (possibly)
    A few people on here have gotten HT leads from AliExpress and said they work ok. I cannot attest to their quality as my leads are fine.

If dumping the bottle of Redex doesn't make the check engine light go away, bring it to a mechanic.

5. Florrie

Car(s):
    Copen 2005
    Thanks. I'll start with the injector cleaner and take it from there.

6. Smc92

Smc92 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 659cc
    Nissan 350Z
    Were the spark plugs changed in the service?

Could it be as simple as the ht lead not being pushed on properly, or are they cheap spark plugs?

7. Florrie

Car(s):
    Copen 2005
    As far as I know the spark plugs weren't changed. Prior to that the last service was in 2014. Think she has been sat around for a good few months.
    Shall have a fiddle with the spark plugs along with the injector cleaner. Shall work out what the ht lead is and also look at that. Hark at me dropping technical terms into my sentences! Think I shall be on a steep learning curve with my beauty. Still, never too old to learn!

8. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    If it's the 660cc, get it a full service. The 660cc needs an oil change every 6 months / 3000 miles...Yes, you read that right. An oil change is cheaper than a new turbo!

If you don't know when the fluids were last changed, change them all - oil, gearbox, radiator, brake - along with the oil filter and sparks

Smc92 likes this.
  9. Florrie

Car(s):
    Copen 2005
    Hi Guys
    Thanks for all your help. Started with the Redex and that has done the trick.. Have made a note of mileage and will make sure the oil is changed when needed. It has been such a help being able to get support from this forum..
    Drove over to Buxton today over the Cat and Fiddle and she went like a dream.