Magic Tank and ECU? Help!

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by stonemanty, Jun 11, 2015.

1. stonemanty

stonemanty Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS
    Copen 660cc
    My D Sport ECU is on the way, should have it in the next day or two.

I found this funny little thing bolted and piped onto the engine ages ago, but I've only just established it's some kind of mechanical boost valve.

I haven't touched it, and the stock ECU has never cut the boost, so I assume it's doing nothing or very little

Should I remove it before fitting the new ECU - any advice appreciated

If I should remove it, where do the resulting stray tubes go?! :think:

Thanks
    Andy

2. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Hey Andy! A photo of the tank would be great. I imagine it's an oil catch can, but would need to see a photo or two to confirm.

3. superspat

superspat Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    your lucky to have a magic tank, they are a k-takeoff product, its some kind of fuel pressure thing i belive. if you want to sell it i will buy it of you :)

4. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    I think the K-Takeoff magic tank is for the waste gate valve.

5. ilain

ilain Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi,

The Magic Tank its a manual boost controller. It helps to regulate your boost pressure. Its best when used with a boost gauge so you know how much boost you're getting. With the D Sport ECU, you should be able to hit 1.3bar of boost but not advisable for the long run. You can limit it to 1bar boost for daily driving. There should be a knob on the magic tank for you to adjust the boost levels.

6. stonemanty

stonemanty Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS
    Copen 660cc
    Thanks Gents (and sorry for the slack reply)

I had to put the Magic Tank back in - the Turbo surge made it impossible to drive able without. Back in, it's going just fine.

Without a boost gauge and wtih regard to setting the maximum boost, how can I check it ? (Other than winding it on until the ECU shuts it down and assuming that's just beyond what is safe?)
    Are boost gauges easy to fit?

thanks
    Andy

7. ilain

ilain Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    I guess that's one way to do it - to adjust it and drive until the boost cut kicks in.

As for the fitment of the boost gauge, I can't quite give you advise on that because I'm not using one as I'm using an Electronic Boost Con and the boost con itself shows the boost levels. One of my fellow copen driver here is also using the magic tank and he's installed the defi boost gauge.