Loud banging/knocking noise when braking

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Mikamilly, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Mikamilly

Mikamilly Copenworld Newbie

Hi guys,

Hope u can help, I have had Bertie for 2 months now and in the last week there is a loud banging/knocking noise coming from the car (front we think) when I brake, there is also a creaking noise when coming to a complete stop, it doesn't happen all the time, I seems to get worse after 3 miles or so then stay till the car stops.

I have had him in the garage twice to try and find what the problem is but the mechanic has no clue. he has looked at the brakes front and back and says they have been replaced recently.

I hope someone knows what his may be, it's really worrying me but am very lost :-((

Angi xx

2. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Did the mechanic test drive the car?
    A loose calliper could cause a banging noise when braking, but so could a broken coil spring, worn shock absorber or worn steering rack. Also broken engine mountings are a possibility. Is there any vibration through the brake pedal when this noise happens? If I was you I'd take the car to a different garage for another opinion.
    Thinking about it if the noise only appears after a few miles driving then it could be to do with when the brakes are hot. You definitely need to get the mechanic to drive the car. An experienced man should be able to pinpoint the problem after a drive.

3. Mikamilly

Mikamilly Copenworld Newbie

Hi, yeah he test drove the car, he has been amazing with all our previous cars but just couldn't find anything, he had the car on the ramp and checked all of the brakes and said everything was new and fine, I will get Bertie back to him this week and get him to check the problems you mentioned. Thanks for the advance, I'll keep you updated

4. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

anything to do with e ABS? its not happened to me, but when i break hard, you get the knock noise - id ont know if that is what you mean