Looking forward to pick up this week

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by infynity, Aug 24, 2016.

1. infynity

infynity Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    0.7 2004
    I bought this little 2004 3-4 weeks ago for £1950 which seemed quite reasonable given the condition inside and out. Interior is near mint, exterior looked quite tidy with some minor bubbles around wheel arches.

[​IMG]

I drove it for the next week and started to notice a few things I wanted to change...

Exhaust - i upgraded to a slightly beefier power flow

CD player - there was a horrible Sony 1din CD player with lots of flashing lights that really annoyed me. Changed for a cheap 7inch 2din touchscreen satnav which looks perfect (like it was made for the copen). It did mean saying goodbye to the original clock!

Wind deflector - couple of scratches on the old one (pretty sure I did it when trying to clean) so ordered a custom replacement.

Paintwork - I wasn't going to do anything about the rust bubbles but in the end I wanted it looking perfect. I debadged the front and back D logos (I think they look weird) then sent it to the body shop for a total paint job pretty much all over as in good light there were a lot more little bubbles on the sides and bonnet as well as small stone chips. Pick it up from the body shop on Thursday. I spoke to the guys there yesterday and they said they could see it had been painted before.

New alloys - the original daihatsu alloys are so ugly. Have ordered some Dezent Silver TIs which I hoped to have fitted on Friday. Same size as originals.

Still on the wants list:
    Under side rust protection
    I believe there is a problem with the air con condenser as good pressure in system but no cooler with air con on than with air con off. Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Will post photos if the new paint job and alloys when I pick her up this week.

barry likes this.
  2. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    It looks like your Copen is keeping you busy :blush: make sure you post photos when it is back.

My air con has a similar problem that I need to look at and I had it regassed but that only lasted a couple of months. It keeps getting left because I always have the roof down if it is hot so don't really use it any way:cool:>:):cool:

3. lovebug_car

lovebug_car Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi infynity
    Love the blue & tan combo! I picked my silver 1.3 Copen yesterday...I'm looking for a double din stereo. Which did you go for? I've seen a couple of lesser known brands on amazon and I'm not sure whether to go for one or stick to a better known brand.
    Like the sound of the new wheels too!
    Looking forward to the 'after' photos

4. infynity

Car(s):
    0.7 2004
    I went for this one Pumpkin 6.2" HD Car DVD Player Radio RDS Stereo GPS Touch Screen USB SD MP3 BT .

It's a cheap Chinese one but looks great and fits like a glove. No nasty logo on the front and super easy to install. Comes with a seperate cable with receiver for the sat nav which I guess you are supposed to run round the car and poke the receiver out somewhere but I just fixed it to the back of the radio casing (it's magnetic) so nothing shows and it still gets excellent signal. Guess it's a benefit of the car being so small!

5. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Ah, thank you! I looked at this brand and the reviews on amazon are good. Apparently the company is very helpful If you contact them. If it does the job & fits like a glove then perhaps I will give it a go too...been looking at stereos twice or three times that price - all I'd be paying for is a brand name which sometimes has fewer functions. Useful to know about the sat nav receiver

6. infynity

Car(s):
    0.7 2004
    I
    It even plays DVDs!! Why you would want that I don't know

7. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Yes, saw that...not the first thing on my list of car stereo requirements! Just want a nice screen, Bluetooth for the hands free & phone connection, cd/mp3 player & aux/usb. The sat nav would be useful :)

8. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Nice bit of kit! Sadly it's a WinCE device, which means getting "apps" for it might be hard... In my spare time, I help develop a WinCE compatible offline (no data connection needed) GPS app called Navit. Doesn't look like the stereo has a data connection, so you'll be stuck with offline GPS

9. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    What kind of navigation system does this chinese DVD car stereo have? Is it any good, how can you update the maps?

10. infynity

Car(s):
    0.7 2004
    It's effectively an android tablet with a preloaded operating system and android satnav app (navmii I think).

You can update all software by plugging in to computer I guess (like any android device)

Salieri likes this.
  11. infynity

Car(s):
    0.7 2004
    Yes it's offline GPS but seems to work well

12. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.

13. infynity

Car(s):
    0.7 2004
    Cool thanks mate

14. Salieri

Car(s):
    My AC is working perfectly fine, cools the car down nicely, does not stink and does not lose gas (had it emptied/refilled a few years ago just to be sure and they said there was nothing missing).
    If yours does not work correctly, there must be something wrong :/

15. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    my AC is working ever day..in moment german temp 30 C..get a frozen front window after few miles in the morning..:D also good for cooling down the engine.. but even bad for more gas at the petrolstation..:(

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  16. Salieri

Car(s):
    Turning on the AC does not cool down the engine :D

Kai, wenn du die Klima anschmeißt dann gehen die Motorraumtemperaturen durch die Decke, nicht umgekehrt :D

17. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    test it..:cool: dude.
    with AC on ....the motor fan runs ever.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  18. Salieri

Car(s):
    I should have rephrased that: If you turn the AC on and come to a stop, the cooler fan will blow the warm air from the radiator into the engine bay, so the air intake temperatures become higher (thus losing power) and the accessoires in the engine bay get hot.
    But yes, it can reduce the engine coolant temperatures because of the fan constantly running

19. infynity

Car(s):
    0.7 2004
    Dammit. Body shop need a little longer as rust was worse than they thought. Have had to weld the sills. Pickup Tuesday now

20. infynity

Car(s):
    0.7 2004
    Finally finished! Let me know what you think...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lovebug_car and jez77 like this.