Looking for a timing chain kit for copen

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by kevin robert hyde, Sep 26, 2019.

timing chain needed asap.

1. as many as possible

100.0%
  2. as many as possible

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kevin robert hyde

kevin robert hyde Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    copen fto fiat panda 100hp
    I need to sell my little beauty as my husband died suddenly last year. It needs a new timing chain kit but cant find one anywhere. Also seeking advice on what its worth please. Reg is SC04 BOF, its tax, mot, good condition, very low mileage and just had a new battery fitted. Broken hearted to part with it but need the money.
    Anne Marie Hyde

2. PaulGee

PaulGee Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Daihatsu Materia 1.5
    Honda CRV (MkII)
    So sorry to hear of your loss. Does it definitely need a timing chain kit, the last M.O.T had less than 40k miles, so a timing chain change is pretty rare at that mileage....

3. kevin robert hyde

kevin robert hyde Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    copen fto fiat panda 100hp
    Thanks for your reply, a mechanic has looked at it and it still goes but the noise is still there and im wondering if i would get a better price if i replace it with a new one. I also had to fit a new turbo which cost over a thousand and a new battery. I wont make much money for it which makes parting with it even harder, thought it would be our forever car.

4. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    It might sound dumb but, are you using the correct oil / have enough?

5. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    I don`t think the repair pays off if you sell it then.

Chain Partnumber is: 13506-97202 without tax 75 Euros ..

but you have to complete remove the engine out of the car...
    and need an new turbo too.

working costs in germany AW 92 850 euros chain replace..

AW 50 450 euros turbo replace..

total cost may come to 2500 euros.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  6. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    I'm sorry for your loss!
    I do not know the british market for Copen well enough to tell you what the car might be worth, but I can tell you that you probably will not recoup the costs of having the timing chain replaced, unless you have friends/familiy that will work without labour costs.
    My advice would be to sell as-is. Also, time is money...

7. kilou5542

kilou5542 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hello,
    Do you have the reference of the chain tensioner or the full chain timing kit please ?
    Thank you

8. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    I had wrote before the orginal Chain Partnumber is: 13506-97202.

The other parts are not really needed or ask a daihatsu dealer for it. There is no set for it.

Change all belts, waterpump,thermostat, may check chain from oelpump. But always only the large chain is bad. Not easy, lot of work. I would change the clutch too in the way. Lot of money...

And please use orginal parts for it..after market parts are deadly..my five cents for that..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  9. kilou5542

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thank you.
    I explain my problem : my copen doesn't start any more. I always had 3 engine laps before the starting, but the last time after the first round of the engine the noise have significantly change. The rotation is faster.
    I get the engine compression and i have 4 bar on each cylinder, about the half of the origin so i suspect a tooth offset. in the past i sometime heard a noise, i little snapping so i really think it's the timing chain.

I have remove the engine of my copen this weekend...
    I check fast the valve clearance and there is no problem. ( piston didn't meet valve).
    I check the chain and the camshaft timing sprocket : they seems to be in good condition too.
    I would like to verify the timing, i found the mating mark but i didn't find the marking plate as shown in this picture :

[​IMG]

My chain is maybe old. Does someone help me, do you know how many plates are there between the two mark ?

10. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    Is your car a 1300? Never saw this before. If the under mating mark is below the upper must be upside in the middle. Cant believe all piston rings are over..Had you checked it with some engine oel in the plug holes?

11. kilou5542

Car(s):
    Copen
    No i didn't add some oil, but just before this problem my car run very very well.
    I suspect a bad synchronisation between the camshaft and the crankshaft, maybe 1 of 2 tooth, and so the valves kept a little open in compression phase.
    What color are the mark on the chain on a new one ?
    Thank you for your help Welz, you seems to know very well the Copen :)

12. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    I can`t understand your problem, to check if the upper camshaft is not syncron with under..

screw clockwise first cylinder to OT with under camshaft. Look were is the mating mark on the upper camshaft ..If the chain is length it could be only some mm , no tooth. one or 2 tooth and your valves are ready for junk yard..Can you move the chain little up and down within the timing chain tensioner?
    Is it an 1300 engine or a turbo jb det 0.7 engine?

maybe show this

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019