1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

long drive ahead

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by cscopen, Jan 10, 2013.

1. cscopen

cscopen Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    copen
    As a new copen owner, this weekend will be the first time ive taken it on a long drive roughly 250miles each way, any tips with running this little turbocharged engine for so long, like what mph to stay at to get optimun fuel performance, and also to not put to much strain on such a little motor, any tips would be gratefully received.

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi CsCopen, Welcome to Copenworld.
    The most important thing is to leave the engine idling for a few minutes when you arrive at your destination. Or if you stop at the services.
    This allows the oil around the turbo to cool a bit. You don't want the oil in the turbo oil ways to carburise (coke). This reduces the oil flow through the turbo, leading to turbo failure.

This is also why the oil needs to be changed regularly at 3000 miles. The dirty oil will clog the oil ways in the turbo.
    Do you know when it was last changed?

I'd take it easy & just tootle along at 70.
    It's difficult though. I think the rev happy eager turbo just wants to go a bit faster!

3. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Never mind, just read your other post. You've just done it. :D

4. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

There wouldnt be any problems with the engine on a 250km journey - just make sure you have good oil in the engine -
    I have done a trip from Melbourne to adelaide, in the copen - thats around 850km each way - stayed on about 110 kmh - no problem at all.
    Other trips to places of 450km away have done about 5 or 6 times, so its nothing at all...

5. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    Adam, do you or other turbo owners ever flush the turbo's oil channels to remove any built up gunk? it sounds feasible to me even though never had a turbo.

6. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    My mechanic swears by using engine flush.

7. cscopen

cscopen Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    copen
    now that sounds like a good drive:D

8. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

Yes CSCOPEN, it was a nice drive -
    and it was in the middle of summer when i drove to Melbourne - 8 - 9 hours at 110 km hour, it was about 35C, so very hot - had the airconditioner on the whole way. The turbo runs at a very high tempreture anyway, so this prolonged
    travelling at high speed is what it does best. There is Diahatsu cars in australia with over 300,000kms on them, still going strong, so i never felt wary of taking it on such a long trip. I say do it!!