Lifes little problems

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Bemused, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Bemused

Bemused Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    Day 2 of ownership of a 112000 mile Copen.
    Spent the day giving it a first superficial clean, fixing and identifying faults.

Interior light did not go off, this was associated with a further problem of rattling doors. Reseting the door closure catches has improved the door shuting reduced rattles and now operates the interior light door pin switches.

Radio did not take a CD, the loading drawer sounded like a bag of nails so I bunged in a new radio so its now better all round with andriod, USB, 3, 5mm line in, CD and radio. Sadly the speakers rattle the door panels with bass so need the cards off and have a look.

No hot air from the heater and have a suspect seized heater valve od broken linkage. Will progress this when my 7 days have expired and a workshop manual will identify the valves location. All correct operation at the cable end by the hot / cold knob.

Aircon not working, discoved a lack of compressor drive belt. Compressor is free to rotate and belt has not been off too long judging by pulley corrosion.

Head lamps have major scuffing, one is not bad now following Autosol, the otherI is still a mess.

Bad connection to L/H main beam cleaned and now have headlights.

A quick buff of the front bumper scuffing did not help.

Gear knob was a mess, looks like wedding ring damage so that went in the lathe for a quick polsh.

Aerial is loose and rattles, yet to get access to the fixings.

Needs a service, so will buy in some oils etc next week.

Loose passanger seat just needed a nip up on the fixings.

Weels are a mess, will try a diy repaint, a job for another time.

Loose battery negative post was odd as the terminal was to big for the post so I made a lead packing and moved on.

Discovered the turbo is quite / very new!

Forgot to reconnect the clock when swapping out the radio so need to revisit that. Grrrr.

Thats all for now folks.
    Couldn't resist a spin out first thing, she does drive well :)

2. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    She's going to keep you busy for a while!
    There is lots of information on here and if you can't find the answer just ask, someone usually knows the answer.

3. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Yes she has been neglected but I will give here some attention.
    Lots of questions but I think most will be sorted when my week is up and I can get the workshop manual.

4. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    A little more progress this evening.

Wiper arms were a mess but look tidy following a blast from an ultra flat black rattle can.

Another body polish and now there is a slight sign of a shine!

Removed the Daihatsu badge from the boot.

Removed the grubby and scratch ed wind deflector and gave it a good polish on polishing mop, came up very nicely.

Tried the 1/4 light window up trick which of course worked. Thanks to copenworld for the tip.

5. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Removed the rear light cluster to change a lamp and broke the plastick rivets.

Removed the boot carpet to see how the aerial is fixed and broke some plastic rivets.

Removed the front grill whilst looking for the oil filter and lost a plastic rivet.

Tried to push the trolley jack under whilst looking for the oil filter but the car is too low for the jack. Looked in the boot for the cars own jack and there isn't one.

Tried to remove the air filter box but failed, looks like some body work needs to come off first.

Lots of negatives...

Plus side is the boot and bonnet paintwork are starting to shime after a good rub with paint restoration polish then a coat of Auto Glyn super resin and topped of the the polish for after the polish!

Passanger seat now quite nice, black marks resisted three different leather cleaners,eventually removed with methylated spirit and then whacked on a coat of Wolys red polish. Drivers seat will need some leather dye which is on order. Thanks to the forum for the tips on Wolys and the leather dye.

Stumbled on a Copen cold air induction kit on ebay for £45, too good to be true? YES
    80mm pipe work is not going to fit an a 660 Copen bay. Looks like a cheapo generic kit and the seller just added the word Copen to his listing.

Rear section exhaust is new, maybe more is new but neither my head or jack will fit under the car.

6. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Found the engine oil fikter today.
    Hahaaa, left it at that for now and went ebaying for filter cups, plastic rivets, low entry trolly jack and small axle stands.

7. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Heater been cold since purchase and on first turn to hot the knob went tight followed by a bang. thought the heaters water valve had stuck and busted a linkage. Been trawling the net for the location of the valve ever since with no luck.

There is NO VALVE!
    hot water always flows into the heater matrix and an air flow diverter flap just blends hot and cold air. Found the cable linkage had come off of the flap actuator but the actuator was in good working order and just needed reattaching.
    All nice and cosy now.

Bit of fiddling with the drivers door linkage now has the electric door locks working that side, still have to look at the passenger door.

jez77 likes this.
  8. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Realigned to the boot lid this afternoon, shut lines now half way decent and the lid has lost its annoying rattle. Marked up the positions with metal marker so it will be easier if I do it again. Will have to return to this area as one nut has a stripped thread. Why they fitted soft half nuts I'll never know.

Stained the damage on the drivers seat with leather dye suggested by Sox with acceptable results followed by a Woley polish. Forgot to buff up before driving so have now got a white shirt with a pink back!

Briefly ran without the inlet filter as a performance check, seemed better but I suspect "anticipation bias" coloured the result so have to redo the test with a stop watch. Didn't quite expect whooshing sounds on a light throttle though. Am I missing something?

9. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Set of oil filter cup wrenches arrived today and one is a good fit on the filter on the engine but none fit my new filter so still no oil change!

10. JulesAtCumbria

JulesAtCumbria Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2009 (59) Copen
    Crikey, #Bemused, that's quite a list! :eek: As Clare says, that'll keep you busy for some time to come - fun, though, eh? Total respect - you certainly love getting in amongst it all - no fear! :nod:

11. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Yes I am a continual meddler but its been some years since I meddled with a car. Currently building an additional room on the house and renovating a boat ready for sale. Boat is in the Copen garage so the Copen is out side covered in tree sap :-(
    Far from an expert and often have to redo stuff!
    Enjoying the Copen meddling though, it's all so small and cute and with a huge list of niggles it's easy to make an impact by hitting the easy ones first.
    I now have the workshop manual so its all much easier thanks to Copen World.

JulesAtCumbria likes this.
  12. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Just been out for a spin in the country with the wife in the Copen.
    Now have hot air from the heater so its all nice and warm on me toes but still have the add little rattle although the rattles are much reduced.
    On the way back home I mentioned the various Copen luggage items I read of over here in Copen World. We get back and she finds a mesh storage bag on ebay
    DAIHATSU COPEN INTERIOR STORAGE NET

13. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    First ever attempt at a wrap!

[​IMG]

14. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    Looks good :cool:

15. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thanks, surprised me how easy it is to apply, yes could be a little better but I think I probably started with one of the harder pieces to cover. Just ordered some more in different colours and styles to have a play as its easy to remove.

16. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Eyeball vents.....
    Grrrrrrr arrrrgghhhh.
    Two off undamaged with two different methods neither was satisfactory.
    Now looking for four small claws to fit in the eyeball to work with my 4 wedges under the ring.

17. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Bugger,wrapped the eyeball vent trim rings in DI-NOK, after thirty minutes the heater softens the glue and the edges lift

18. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Got a boost gauge installed, I think its rather neat even if I have dust specs every where!
    Lost the clock for the time being though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thinking about a Magic Tank

20. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Seat heaters now working, Dual port BOV ordered.
    Paint still a mess and some of the wrap peeled back in the Sunday heat.
    First 3/4 of a tank used in 162 miles, hope the fuel gauge is dodgy.