1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED lights

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by iamkkool, Sep 7, 2017.

1. iamkkool

iamkkool Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen l880k
    which are the best LED light bulbs to use for the Copen

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    None, H1 LED bulbs cause a very bad light pattern, you could blind oncoming traffic.
    Just stick with regular H1 halogen bulbs

3. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    I agree, they are illegal in OZ unless your car was designed for them anyway.

4. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Same in the UK I think but that doesn't stop dozens of eBay sellers selling them specifically for the Copen (and everything since the Model T).

Salieri likes this.
  5. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    I really hate the idiots who mark generic crap as specific to everything on ebay. Unfortunately my long-term research project is at a standstill, I still haven't found a way to punch people in the face through the internet :/

It depends which lights you want to replace - rear and indicator lights you can replace with any that fit, but you'll need a resistor for the indicators, not sure if you need them for any others, and I've read the heat-sinks on LED bulbs can be awkward to fit or need removing and soldering back on.

A real specific LED replacement headlight would almost certainly be the full light unit or at least new reflectors to fit inside, and the same for Xenon which also needs self-leveling and cleaning for UK law.

There might be one available from Japan, I'm certain I've seen LED replacement rear light full units.

Funksterhardtop and Salieri like this.
  6. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    I don't know what your laws are in the UK but in Oz brake and indictator bulbs must be ARD compliant which very few if any LED bulbs are that I've found.

7. Vin Petrol

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    While looking at the LED Wind Deflectors I found those rear LED lights and also LED rear indicators:-

Full replacement LED rear indicators reverse £83.60

**Looking at these, I don't see any mention of a rear fog light on them and Japanese cars don't require them, UK MOT does, not sure they're legal for us**

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/auc-screate/item/t-rwd-01-002/

ledindicator.jpg

Full Replacement Rear Light Clusters £137 - Light Smoke

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/auc-mickcorp/item/7740/?l-id=rgm_item_en_rvp_widget

l880_ledtail_lsm02.jpg

Red £ 156
    https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/plus-one/item/tl-dcopen880rled/?l-id=rgm_item_en_rvp_widget

da3-632.gif

I'm not sure on legalities, but a full replacement unit probably has a much better chance of passing than a bulb in a reflector not designed for it. And those rear indicator clusters for £83? I paid £65 just for a right-side clear indicator, plus a few quid on bulbs, that seems a bargain.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  8. adatara

adatara Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    L880 Copen; have a Honda Airwave (long Honda Fit); had Subaru Foresters
    rear fog lights - not on my Copen here in Japan. The current generation LA400 Copen doesn't have rear fogs in Japan either. Originally from the US, I'm not familiar with rear fogs, just normal tail lights. Had to research rear fogs a bit. Vin, in the 3 pics you posted, they don't mention a rear fog. The top pic in katakana says コペンリアLEDウインカーキット = Copen rear LED winker kit. Text at the bottom of that pic - ウインカー、バックもLEDで爆光る=winker, back LED bright light. I clicked on the 3 links, see no mention of rear fogs.

The interior of my Copen doesn't have a fog lamp switch. It has: front fog; window lock (frustrating, because 2x I've accidentally hit it, wondered why the windows wouldn't go up or down, grr) & rear defog.

Vin Petrol likes this.
  9. Vin Petrol

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    On the European spec cars, one of the reversing lights is coloured red and we have a rear fog lamp switch instead of the frustrating window lock. Looks a bit slapdash really, which is why I've bought a clear right-side lamp and a red bulb for mine (still to be fitted).
    Here's a pic I googled quick, not my car.

daihatsucopendr_3_560px.jpg

Yeah, I'm guessing those rear indicators have 2 reversing lights, so you'd need a foglamp somewhere to pass the MOT. You can probably connect one of the lights as a foglamp, I'd assume it's going to be the same connection, but you'd need to either colour the lens red (spoils the look a bit) or replace the white LEDS (sounds difficult, maybe they just plug in, I have no clue) with red.

10. iamkkool

iamkkool Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen l880k
    I'm looking to replace the high beams to white light led bulb