1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED indicators?

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Rex, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Has any one replaced the indicator lamps with leds?

I would like to do this, but as they draw less current than the lamps I fear this could affect the flashing rate.
    (some flasher unit flash faster if less current is being drawn to warn you the a lamp has blown).

Rex.

2. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Well I've bought the led lights (from flee bay). They look great. BUT....
    How do you replace the rear indicator bulbs ??

I have looked at the manual. It is not really clear. I think you have to remove the rear brake light first. Following the manual (page 13-29), I removed the hidden screw and borowed the wifes best spatula. I used a fair amount of force, but couldn't remove brake light cover. I stopped when I heard a 'crack'.:eek:

Have you any tips? Surely some one has replaced the lamps! :rolleyes:

Rex.

3. FullMetalCopen

FullMetalCopen Copenworld Member

I've personally seen my mechanic changed the signal bulbs for me, and ain't easy. Removing the bumper will be the easier option to go.

FMC

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  5. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thanks Adam.

That LOOKS easy, but I think I will wait until this cold snap passes to find out.

I expect I will have to fit a resistor acorss the new led lamp to keep the current flowing and hence flash at the correct speed.

As indicator bulbs are normally 21W. At 14V this is means the current is 21/14 = 1.5 Amps.
    The new led bulbs take only 0.25 Amps so I need another 1.25 Amps to flow for each led bulb.

14/1.25 = 11.2 ohm, so a 10 to 15 ohm resister will be near enough.
    The resister will need to be power rated at 14*1.25 = 17.5 Watts - That's quite high, but because the lamp will be on 50% of the time (remember, this is the indicator!), I think 10W will be sufficient.

Maplin have 15 ohm 10W resister with a max 10x power rating for 5 seconds. Part number: H15R. This should do. Now I just have to buy them...

I'll let you know what happens ;)

6. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Ah, problem....
    I just had a look at Adams link again To my horror, I noticed the indicator bulbs are of the 'wedge' type. I bought the standard BC type.:eek: (I don't think you can get wedge type with leds :-(()

Hum, so much for that idea. I can feel a new post in the 'for sale' section coming on....

Rex.

7. smx

smx Copenworld Member

Thats a shame, i too was thinking about doing this. Also looking at replacing the interior light with a brighter LED one also from eBay, would help me see what i'm doing on these dark nights.

8. honeyjew

honeyjew Copenworld Member

9. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Are the led brighter than the standard lamp?

(I've always thought it a bit daft to put the interior lamp behind a smoked grey lens)

Rex.

P.S. My son now has has eye on my indicator leds.....

10. honeyjew

honeyjew Copenworld Member

Indeed they are. Though they are not going to blind you, it is still a definitely improvement on the originals.

11. smx

smx Copenworld Member