1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Key fob

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Waterhouse, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Waterhouse

Waterhouse Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Blue copen
    Red Saab 900 turbo
    My remote key fob stopped working so I got it a new battery but it still doesn't work. Does it need pairing with the car, and if so, how?

2. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Hi waterhouse,

yes, the remote needs to be re-synced.
    Found these instructions on Daihatsu-Forum.de:

1. Remove the key from the ignition lock.
    2. Remove negative battery terminal.
    3. Reconnect negative battery terminal and close all doors, if not already done.
    4. Within 15 seconds, press & hold both buttons on the transmitter simultaneously at least for 5 seconds, until the doors are locked & unlocked for confirmation.
    5. Within 5 seconds after confirmation, press & hold the UNLOCK button (original version: "both buttons", that does not seem to work) of the transmitter again for at least 1 second.
    6. For confirmation, doors will lock & unlock again.
    7. To register another transmitter (2 can be registered at a time), take the new one and got to step 3 again. Otherwise, registration will be done.

Maybe this also works:
    1. Remove the key from the ignition lock.
    2. Standing near the car press & hold both buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for at least 15 seconds (LED light goes off).
    3. Push both knobs simultaneously once.

Did not try any of the above myself yet, but hope it works.

Andreas

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  3. issuefixed

issuefixed Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    yes
    I've replaced the battery on mine myself, didn't need to sync. Odd.

4. Waterhouse

Car(s):
    Blue copen
    Red Saab 900 turbo
    Ke fob

I've tried both those approaches and neither worked. Its fob doesn't have an LED on it either. I've just tested the battery in the Fob and its fine, so either the Copen synchronises differently or the fob itself is faulty.

Anyone know where I can get a fob?

5. Waterhouse

Car(s):
    Blue copen
    Red Saab 900 turbo
    Belay that

I downloaded the workshop manual and checked. The code is hard-wired so the fob never needs to be resynchronised.

However, the fob doesn't operate when a door is open, and its the interior light switch which tells it that a door is open. The switch wasn't quite closing so I stuck a stick patch on the door and it all works now. Also explains why the battery was constantly draining last winter - the switch seems to have intermittent for quite a while. When banged shut it allowed the remote fob to work, then eased back as it sat parked, turning the light on and flattening the battery.

6. Sherbert

Sherbert Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Bright Yellow Copen
    I had a similar problem recently. My key fob still operated the boot opening if I pressed and held the open button, but wouldn't open or close the doors. I discovered the problem by accident when investigating why the interior light wasn't working. It turned out that the button in the door shut which operates the interior light (like the one in the fridge that turns the light on and off) was not going right in.

We simply put a self tapping screw into the end of the button to make it a little bit longer, put the rubber cover back on and hey presto - the blipper worked again and the light worked too.

It seems like my wonderful little Copen didn't know the door was closed so wouldn't lock!

7. Kate_Hove

Kate_Hove Copenworld Newbie

Can anyone tell me what battery they take? Mine just went flat and I can't get it open....

8. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    The battery is a 'CR1616' and is 3 volts.
    It's a common battery, they probably sell them in pound shops.

The fob is held together with a small Philips screw. After removing the screw pull it slightly apart at the keyring end then it just slides apart.

9. Tiff

Tiff Copenworld Newbie

Thanks for the info on the key fob battery, new one ordered!

10. Old Badger

Old Badger Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 Copen
    2016 Honda HR-V
    Sherbert you are a star!! I followed your advice to the letter, including inserting a small screw into the plastic arm of the door switch and it all works perfectly!! The central locking has not worked for at least 5 years and I'd just accepted it would never work again. Hated using the key to open. But now! It's like becoming young again! Just want to give you a hug Sherbert!!

11. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    Now we know where you handout at the weekends :D

12. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Did you know......
    With these type of batteries the number is the physical size......
    So cr1616 means 16mm diameter and 1.6mm thick. ;)

Rex.

froggguk likes this.
  13. trucanlam

trucanlam Copenworld Newbie

replacement key fob

Does anyone know where you can get a replacement key fob and how much it will cost?

14. alz2605

alz2605 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    VW Golf TDi
    There's this genuine new one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daihatsu-Copen-Central-Door-Locking-Transmitter-Genuine-Daihatsu-/201014764903?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ecd69e567

Expensive though at £80 :eek:

Keep seeing these though:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daihatsu-Blank-key-With-Chip-Charade-Copen-Cuore-Feroza-Sirion-Terios-YRV-/190998864426?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item2c786b622a

Gives the impression it's just a key with fob function built in.

15. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
  16. joeleow

joeleow Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen (red) and Lexus IS250 (white)
    I have read somewhere that the fob actually allows you to open the boot if you press the open button long enough. Mine doesn't do that. In fact, my fob only has two buttons, one for both lock/unlock and the other for alarm. Anyone else has this issue? :think:

17. alz2605

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    VW Golf TDi
    Keep your finger on the unlock button for a few seconds & your boot should pop open. I tend to have to be quite near to the boot lid for it to work as I find it a bit temperamental. But it works for the mrs all the time. She says I'm too impatient.

18. alz2605

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    VW Golf TDi
    Oh right. I thought it was a bit odd I couldn't see any buttons on the key.

19. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    Took a few weeks for me to realise the boot open trick too just hold it a few seconds and it should pop open

20. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    It might not work if your battery is not up to scratch, as it has to transmit for about 3 second before it opens. Also try not to move about too much whilst the button is pressed as an interruption to the signal will re-start the internal timer.

Rex.