1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kenwood KDC-DAB4557U DAB+ radio, iPhone, USB and CD player

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by PhillandLin, Oct 7, 2014.

1. PhillandLin

PhillandLin Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 659cc Turbo 2006 Silver
    Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Titanium 2014 Black
    Good morning to all Copen fans out there. Hope all is good with you all?

For quite a while I've put up with the useless standard Clarion CD player fitted as standard in Buzz and thought it was time for a change :(

My main problems were that it wasn't iPhone compatible, so I couldn't use it to play my music library in Buzz. Also, I'd got used to listening to DAB radio whilst driving our new Ford Focus, which is far superior to FM radio quality.

For just a few pence over £100 I bought a brand new Kenwood KDC-DAB4557U which boasts a DAB+ radio, iPhone front input, USB input and CD player. Great value! :D

Following some excellent instructions posted on this site and on YouTube, I've managed to relieve Buzz of his Clarion :) and I'm nearly ready to install his new Kenwood.

However, I don't want to go down the dedicated DAB+ antenna in the glovebox route, I want to make use of the existing standard AM/FM Copen antenna and properly adapt it for DAB+ radio use.

So, I've bought an appropriate 'active antenna' kit which seems to be able to do a good job. I'm waiting anxiously for this kit to arrive, and then I'll complete the installation and give my honest opinion of the results.

Look out for our update soon.

Cheers!

PhillandLin and an impatient Buzz :(

Attached Files:

2. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Were they my youtube videos? :)

3. PhillandLin

PhillandLin Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 659cc Turbo 2006 Silver
    Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Titanium 2014 Black
    Good morning to you Number6, hope all is good with you and yours?

Yes, the YouTube videos that I used were yours, I couldn't mistake your accent! :D

Very informative and easy to follow.

Have you installed a DAB radio? If so, have you used a dedicated antenna or adapted the standard Copen one?

Cheers!

PhillandLin and Buzz.

4. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    DAB isn't available over here, as far as i know, so I just used a normal head unit / stereo - no changing cables.

There might be enough room in the glove box or under the gear lever housing to hide an antenna