1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Bought a Copen!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by skbilics, Oct 26, 2017.

1. skbilics

skbilics Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi, Ive just bought a copen 08 1.3L! I love it! but I do a lot of driving 50-60 miles a day on little country roads and Im worried about damaging the car. I want it to last forevvvver!! What advice can you give me to ensure the best care for my car? driving tips, maintenance, what to look out for?

Thank you

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    adatara likes this.
  2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Hi and welcome!
    If you have the owners manual, take a look at the maintenance section and abide by it religiously.
    Important: Oil, Air Filter and Spark plug changes.
    Also keep an eye on rust, especially on the underside.

skbilics likes this.
  3. skbilics

skbilics Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Thank you I have read the owners Manual and just had an oil filter change (after 1,000 miles of driving) is it expensive for Air filter changes and spark plugs?

4. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Think about getting it fully undersealed. I had mine done earlier this year for about £500.

Tony and skbilics like this.
  5. Salieri

Car(s):
    BarnsleyRob likes this.
  6. stelios ioannidis

stelios ioannidis Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    daihatsu copen 1.3
    hello from Greece,also new owner of a 1.3 2008 red Copen.As i saw the maintance is simple,the only problem is to find parts of the car,for example i search for a right headlamp. (only from Japan and extremely expensive to come).

7. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    @Salieri

Any recommendations for the oil filter and sump plug. Should I try and find an original OEM or use after market ? I'm also thinking of going for Magnatec 5W/30 synthetic oil.

8. Salieri

Car(s):
    Yes, I recommend Herth + Buss or MANN oil filters, quality is good. As you have the 1.3 there is no need to buy OEM

Here is a link: MANN-FILTER Filter, Engine Oil W 67/2 - Oil Filter - Car parts at 123spareparts.co.uk

Would not use Castrol Magnatec, its just of average quality and quite expensive.
    Have made good experiences with Shell Helix Ultra AV-L 0w30, its high quality and works extremely well, cold starts are a bliss.

Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30 - Engine oil - Oils at 123spareparts.co.uk

As for a sump plug, this should be the correct one, but please check beforehand: FEBI BILSTEIN Screw, Oil Drain 30264 - Drain Screw - Car parts at 123spareparts.co.uk

Sorry for using 123spareparts, but its the only vendor that ships to the UK I know. However, you can use the parts numbers to buy your parts elsewhere

9. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    Thanks @Salieri

I tend to use Eurocarparts.com as they do a click and collect at a local store. They’re quite expensive except they usually have discount codes operating. I got the filters and oil for £37 all in.

10. Salieri

Car(s):
    Wow, they are really expensive!

I do not know half the brands they have in stock, never heard of "crosland" oil filters for example :D

Guess you went for the 29,99 quid Magnatec C3 and a MANN oil filter?

11. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    Bosch oil filter, Nipparts air filter and 4 litres Castrol Edge. For some reason, when I went to collect it they didn’t have the oil !

The prices are steep and you’d have to be desperate to walk in and buy from them but they always have discount codes for online orders. The invoice total was over £60 but with the code I got a £27 discount.

If anyone else is thinking of using them, the best deals are around public holidays and month end.

12. Salieri

Car(s):
    37 for all those parts is OK in my opinion, over 60 would have been daylight robbery. Just a hint: Next time spend the extra 30p and get a MANN filter, they are better than Bosch and made in Germany, not in some 3rd world country ;)

13. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    @Salieri

I think you’re right. I just collected the service items today and couldn’t believe how small the filter is. I’ve had to double check to make sure it’s the right one but haven’t ventured under the car as it’s been chucking it down all day today.

This is the Bosch version (have to click on Bosch when the detail comes up for Crossland) I ordered. Oil Filters | What Car Oil Filter Do I Need For My Car? | Euro Car Parts

14. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    A couple more questions if I may.

My service book lists changing the differential oil every 2 years or 18k miles. I assumed the diff was part of the gearbox and did not require a separate oil change. Is this correct ?

The evaporative emission hoses need to be changed every 8 years. Any idea where i might source them from and/or if they really need changing ?

I don't know when the last plug change was done but the car runs faultlessly and returns 50 mpg on a run with plenty of torque. I reckon I'll just get them checked rather than chance upsetting things.

15. Salieri

Car(s):
    In my version of the manual it says to check the level of the transmission fluid every 2 years (30k km) and change it every 6 years.
    The car has a transaxle transmission, which means that the differential is in the same box as the transmission, hence no separate oil changes. If you have not changed the oil yet, I can recommend it as it improves longevity and ease of shifting
    (Castrol 75w90 GL-4 (+) is good, I dislike their engine oils, but the transmission oils are top notch - No GL-5 oils, it will damage the transmission).

This is the correct oil, its specially made for transaxles: https://www.123spareparts.co.uk/engine-oils/Castrol/Syntrans-Transaxle-75W-90/p-OIL-139

If you do not know about the spark plugs I would just change them, its really easy. It is crucial that you use NGK or Denso spark plugs, the car will have issues if you use Bosch, Beru or Champion.

This one is the correct one recommended by Daihatsu: NGK Spark Plug 4368 - Spark Plug - Car parts at 123spareparts.co.uk

Do not worry about the evaporative emissions hoses too much, I have read up on the topic and it seems nobody has ever changed them, including me. I couldn't even tell you where they are to be found :D

The Herth+Buss filter I have in my parts box is 7cm x 6.5cm (diameter x height, ~2.75in in medieval terms), seems to be the regular size for it. I guess Bosch is quite OK, but if you can get MANN for just a little bit extra, its worth it. Mahle Knecht or Hengst is also OEM-quality high grade stuff, but I guess you will not be able to purchase them in the UK :D

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  16. gotboost?

gotboost? Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    Moderators, can you please move this out of the 'For Sale' section? It looks more like a Mods/Tips topic and not a for sale thread.

Salieri likes this.
  17. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    @Salieri
    Thanks again. I’ll probably change the plugs myself in spring when it’s a bit warmer to be bent over the engine. I’ve only done 3k miles since buying the car last February.

Any tips on removing the coil packs so as not to do any damage ? They look like a rare and expensive item to replace.

18. Salieri

Car(s):
    They are just held in place with 2 10mm bolts each, you should be able to just carefully pull them out after unscrewing (unplug the connectors if they do not want to come out of the spark plug hole all the way)

19. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    I don’t suppose you could post a photo next time you have to get under the bonnet/hood please. No major rush as it’ll be March when I reckon I will change.

20. Salieri

Car(s):