1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've just got one but it squeals!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jemp4, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Jemp4

Jemp4 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 2008
    Hello fellow Copeners! I've just got me a 2008 1.3 in Red with all the toys but my little Luigi squeals a bit. Is it likely to be the alternator belt and if so is it easy to tighten or replace?
    Looking forward to the weather improving so that I can put the top down with it outside of the garage!

2. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    if it squeals when 1st started/revved then stops it's probably the belt. dunno how easy to get to as not done it myself.

3. princess

princess Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    just got our second copen 04 reg. we also have a brand new vw bettle!!!!
    Hi jemp,

Welcome to copenworld.:)

As Binz Say's ,If it Squeals when you first start it and then it stops, It does sound as if the alternator belt needs tightening up or replacing.:)
    Roll on the good and DRY weather, Our car has been in the garage for 4 Months!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:. She needs to get outside :D

4. dunf

dunf Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen
    Welcome.

If you have a belt fork and small hands you can do it yourself from the engine bay without a ramp. If you don't fancy it then a garage should be 1hour labour (about £35). The belt is around £13-14.

Cheers.

Dunf

5. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    What's a garage?

My Copen has scoffed at this news with an angry "Grrr!!!":mad: - Copens should be driven in all weathers every day - If it's not sunny outside, then it sure is inside behind the steering wheel :cool::D

6. Old Badger

Old Badger Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 Copen
    2016 Honda HR-V
    Drove 'MLC this week! Put on my badger hat (badger design, not made of badger!) plus warm gloves. Now that I finally know how to put the quarter lights up with the top down it was really toasty! :D

Driving MLC to the body shop on Monday for surgery :eek: scary!

7. YAK

YAK Copenworld Newbie

Quarter lights

Hi Old Badger
    Glad you had a good trip out. I have forgotten which section the "raising of the quarter lights" was in. Could you let know where it was please. Thanks

8. Old Badger

Car(s):
    2004 Copen
    2016 Honda HR-V
    Quarter lights

Hi Yak!

It's in the thread called "I never knew that" posted by Adam. Or just search for quarter lights.

Have fun! :D:D

9. JulesAtCumbria

JulesAtCumbria Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2009 (59) Copen
    Welcome to the happy band of Copenworld, Kemp - hope you have a great time with Luigi ... once you get the squealing sorted! :think:

Badger's right, Yak - it's a brilliant thread!

https://www.copenworld.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=1394&highlight=quarter+lights

The other amazing find is that you can adjust the steering backwards and forwards, not just up and down - go and check!

Glad to hear you've been out and about, Badger, braving the chilly weather. That's the stuff Copenistas are made of! ;)

10. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Squeals often caused by large currents being taken from the alternator. Thing like having the lights on, heated seats, rear window heater, wipers and of course after starting (to put the charge back inn the battery).

As nothing is for 'free', the alternator basically gets 'stiff' to turn, when you are using a lot to current, so it is far more likely the drive belt will slip under load, often causing a squeal.

So.... What I'm saying is it should be easy to check if it is the belt slipping by turning everything electrical on and off.

Hope this makes sense.

Rex.

11. princess

princess Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    just got our second copen 04 reg. we also have a brand new vw bettle!!!!
    NOT when i have just spent THOUSANDS getting her repaired due to RUST!!!!:-((

12. YAK

YAK Copenworld Newbie

Quarter lights

Thanks Old Badger and Julie of Cumbria

13. YAK

YAK Copenworld Newbie

Thanks

Thanks JulesofCumbria nd Old Badger
    Happy Copening!

14. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    The dreaded "R" word

Yes the angst we probably all feel towards the impending rust demon and when he might visit - I really appreciated your earlier posted rust pics which give a good indication of where to keep looking ;)
    https://www.copenworld.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=1694&highlight=rust+worm&page=4

15. Old Badger

Car(s):
    2004 Copen
    2016 Honda HR-V
    MLC goes in to body shop tomorrow at 8. We shall see what horrors lurk under the skin....:eek::eek: I'll keep you posted

16. JulesAtCumbria

JulesAtCumbria Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2009 (59) Copen
    Good luck Badger - MLC will much appreciate all the care and attention and be nice and ready for that lovely summer we've been promised :rolleyes:!

Let us all know how it goes......

17. Jemp4

Jemp4 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 2008
    Thank you everyone for your replies :) so glad the weather is improving so I can get the roof down more :)!!!