1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this oil ok?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by dsb, Apr 15, 2014.

1. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
  2. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Cheap oil is usually recycled from old oil. I would imagine it's ok or it wouldn't reach the standards required and so wouldn't be on sale. I don't think I'd put it in my new Lamborghini though.:)

3. TooCopen

TooCopen Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7
    Hello dsb,

Oil is the most important consummable fluid of our cars.
    Especially the turbo one, and yours is !!!
    What is the cost of a first quality oïl compared to an unknown and low cost oïl ?
    If you pay your oïl 15£ compared to a 35 £ (which is a high rate price) for 5 liters, and if you change it every 3000 miles (0,7l), you will save less than 20 £, and.... 0,0067 £ per mile.
    What about an engine or a turbo out of order because neglicting oïl quality, to save a small amount of money compared to the global car price, and the cost to repair it :-((
    Definitively: no false economy about oïl quality, and changing it regularly is essential :)

4. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    It depends how cheap in quality terms a cheap oil is. Cheap oil changed often is likely to be better than expensive oil not changed often, especially with regard to decomposition.

At £15 you could change it every 1500 miles and come out with £5 profit.

A £35 oil might be a good one, but a lot of that extra is advertising you are paying for.