1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my turbo dead?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Brian S, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Brian S

Brian S Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    Hi, a few days ago I was driving my 2003 700cc turbo Copen when it suddenly felt like someone had pulled on the handbrake. Symptoms are: no kick from 3000rpm up, sluggishness & a slight sound coming from the engine bay. I'm really concerned my turbo has shat itself. It has only done 45,000kms since new.

Engine temperature is normal (I have a real-time engine temp monitor installed) and when in neutral the engine spins up normally without any funny noises. I have not been meticulous in idling the car after use - until recently I wasn't aware I should, this is my first turbo.

My questions are:
    * Do you guys think this sounds like a turbo problem?
    * If so, how hard is it to either replace or fix?
    * Do I risk engine damage if I still drive it occasionally?
    * Lastly, can you give me an idea of the cost to replace a turbo, assuming Daihatsu still have them? I expect any parts will have to be sourced from Japan but if anyone knows of a supplier other than Daihatsu can you let me know?

I live in Australia so there are no Daihatsu dealers left any more and the Copen is pretty rare here. Thus I'm taking it to a Toyota dealer next week.

Many thanks in advance, Brian

2. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    First check there's no loose, split pipes. This is likely cause since there's noise coming from the engine bay.
    Then pull the inlet pipe off check the turbine spins smoothly and there's not too much sideways movement.

It's not needed to idle the car after driving with modern turbos and oils.
    If you are driving hard take it easy for a minute or so before you shut it down.

3. Brian S

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    Hi je77, much thanks for that info. I'll remove the vanity cover & have a look at the pipes. I'm not really very expert with car engines but maybe I will find something obvious following your advice. I might ask you further questions if that's ok. The Copen is such a great car for drivers when it's all working. Thanks again!

4. Surfmod

Surfmod Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 659 turbo
    Same thing happened to me whilst driving home from Cornwall... could only manage 20mph up some hills and I thought the car was dying. Fifty very slow miles later, a trip to the garage, five minutes work and a new hose clip later it was as good as new - best £25 spend ever! Good luck with yours.

Brian S likes this.
  5. Brian S

Car(s):
    -----------------------------------------------
    Yours would be a 1.4 4 cyl atmo engine wouldn't it?

6. Brian S

Car(s):
    First check there's no loose, split pipes. This is likely cause since there's noise coming from the engine bay.
    Then pull the inlet pipe off check the turbine spins smoothly and there's not too much sideways movement.

It's not needed to idle the car after driving with modern turbos and oils.
    If you are driving hard take it easy for a minute or so before you shut it down.[/QUOTE]
    -------------------------------------------------
    Hi Je77,
    This may sound like a stupid question but where the hell is the turbo in the engine bay?
    Thanks, Brian

7. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    To be honest mate, if you can't identify the turbo you need to take it to someone who can show you and run through the basics of what things do under the bonnet. Once you know the basics we will be able to be more help to you with fault finding. The workshop manual on this site will be much more helpful then too.

Brian S likes this.
  8. Surfmod

Car(s):
    Copen 659 turbo
    Nope, 659 - 2005 model.

9. Brian S

Car(s):
    Thanks, I think you're right. I'm taking it to Toyota on Tuesday. I'll insist on talking to the mechanic who will be doing it & will provide him with your ideas. To be honest I feel stupid I can't find it. I'm downloading the workshop manual so I can print it & provide him with that. I'm sure he will never have worked on a Copen. Meantime I'll have a look myself. Many thanks for your help, kind regards, Brian

10. Brian S

Car(s):
    I had thought all Euro Copens had the 4cyl. I hope it's a simple fix. Even though it is a low km car stuff wears out over time, especially rubber etc. Thanks, Brian

11. Brian S

Car(s):
    Bugger, the service manual is a separate file for each page. That's some serious printing. Think I will find the index first then print the stuff about the turbo. Even that will take my Sunday afternoon. Damn, I hope I find an honest mechanic at Toyota.

12. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    Both 659cc and 1.3L engines have 4 cylinders, so yes, all euro copens have the 4cyl, including the JDM ones.
    Also the turbo is in this area: DSC01833.JPG
    I'd still recommend taking it to a proper mechanic unless you're a mechanic (or have lots of car and mechanical knowledge) yourself.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  13. Brian S

Car(s):
    Thanks SO much for taking the time & trouble to help. (the 4cyl thing was a faux pas, I just meant the atmo engine)

I'm not a complete muppet but I know when I'm out of my depth, and turbos fall into that category. I knew my 1.3GTvi Sirions pretty well but what's under the Copen's bonnet is too much for me. I'm definitely taking it to a mechanic but with Daihatsu RIP here since 2005 I have to trust Toyota. One more question if that's ok, do I risk damaging my engine if I use it given the symptoms? It's booked in for Tuesday but if the turbo is dead I'll have to fly in a new one. Cost (incl shipping) is about AUD $1400 (ouch) plus labour it seems.

BTW, I managed to find the workshop manual in one (long, 1,159 page) PDF file at my other Daihatsu site, 2002 2012 daihatsu copen workshop manual.pdf (22.7 MB), I will try to post it here since the one in Resources is 1,159 separate PDFs. Thanks again.

14. Brian S

Car(s):
    To everyone who has helped me a big thanks. It's nice to be part of such a community.

15. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    It depends on what exactly is wrong with the turbo.
    If it's just a simple boost leak then it probably won't cause much harm, other than a severe lack of power. The ECU will likely see the lack of boost and do things to avoid things such as engine knock etc on its own to an extent. (I hope/think)
    If the turbo is broken, there is a risk of broken or disintegrating turbo bits getting into the engine, which could kill it. If the turbo is seized (not moving) then I'd guess it will become a big restriction for exhaust flow.
    Either way, it's not ideal to drive if any component is broken as it will eventually get worse and then cause harm.
    I wouldn't drive it unless you really really need to, and treat it carefully if you do.

Disclaimer: I don't take any responsibility if something bad happens, I don't actually know that much, I'm only 19.

Brian S likes this.
  16. Brian S

Car(s):
    Pretty much my thoughts. It's parked until it goes to Toyota on Wed. Thanks

17. Brian S

Car(s):
    Ok, really good news. It was simply that the lower intercooler hose had detached. Phew! Toyota only charged me for an hour of labour. Je77 was correct. At least next time I will know more. Thanks again, Brian

18. Brian S

Car(s):
    --------------------------------------
    You were right, the intercooler hose had detached. Thanks, Brian

19. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    Good to hear

20. Surfmod

Car(s):
    Copen 659 turbo