1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intermittent Roof Problems

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Lucy Longsocks, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Lucy Longsocks

Lucy Longsocks Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Mazda MX-5
    Hi
    I'm having a few problems with opening/closing the roof on my recently purchased Copen 1.3.
    Have read the manual and ensured all the relevant checks are in place, e.g. boot strap, stationery etc. but still having intermittent problems.
    Having looked through a few of your threads I'm a bit concerned that it may be the hand-break sensor. I've noticed that the handbrake indicator light on the dash goes off fairly quickly when I turn the ignition on (handbrake still on). Could this be the fault, or is it just a coincidence? Any help much obliged as I daren't open the roof.
    PS - my first post so hope not being too thick! Also absolutely love my Copen, hopefully my first of many!
    Cheers
    Lucy

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi Lucy, Welcome to Copenworld.

It certainly could be your issue. I'm sure I've read in the past of another member having some dirt & debris around the switch that detects the hand break is on.

Just under the hand break handle is a little plastic cover. Pull that out. You'll see a wire going to a small black box with a little piece of metal sticking out. Get an old tooth brush & give it a bit of a brush. Press it up & down with your finger a few times too.
    See if that fixes your problem.
    If not you'll need to take the centre console out to access that little black box better. I believe you can open that box up to clean side it.
    Failing that a new switch.

3. Lucy Longsocks

Lucy Longsocks Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Mazda MX-5
    Dear Adam,
    Many thanks for your reply. Brilliant!! Did exactly as you said re the stuff underneath the handbrake - good clean etc & its now working perfectly. As long as the handbrake light is on - which it now always is - the roof opens & closes without problem.
    Thanks again - you really are the "Copen genius" !!!
    Lucy

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    No problem Lucy. Glad you got it sorted.