1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intermittent Engine Misfire or Cut Out

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Klausanta, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Klausanta

Klausanta Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Renault Megane
    Hi All

I drove my wife’s Copen for the first time in a while this week and noticed a real problem.

The car starts first time every time, ticks over perfectly and there does not seems to be any performance issues. However, very intermittently it feels as if the car completely cuts out for just a split second which causes a real jolt but then drives perfectly normally again. As I said, this is extremely random but is really noticeable when it happens. My wife commented that it had also happened to her quiet a lot recently!

Has anyone else had this issue or got any thoughts on what may be causing the problem?

Many thanks

KS

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  3. issuefixed

issuefixed Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    yes
    Might be some cable connection is loose? Look around the engine and under the dash, behind the glove box for slightly loose cables.

4. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I had a Renault 19 that did the same thing.
    It would suddenly cut out, I'd jerk forward, all lights came up on the dash, then it would pick up again and off I'd go. The momentum of the car restarted it after the cut out but it was a worry it would happen when I was overtaking.
    I figured it was being starved of fuel for a second or two and after changing the fuel filter the problem went. I also cleaned out the throttle body with some carb cleaner but I reckon the filter was the problem.
    Your cut out could be caused by a number of things but as a cheap start to trouble shooting the problem I'd change the filter.

5. Klausanta

Klausanta Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Renault Megane
    Many thanks DaG I will get this looked at when I have the oil and oil filter changed (due soon).

It would also be nice to hear how Ceri sorted the problem as well?

Anyway, not much I can do now until the snow clears and my first job is to change the brake light seal.

Then, problem with the boot sometimes not locking down properly on the left hand side when the roof is down.

Then, sort the faulty Radio/CD.

Then, look at the seat belts not retracting.

Then,.......

Never mind, I still love the little Copen!

KS

skbilics likes this.
  6. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I asked my mechanic to change the fuel filter at my last service.
    Apparently the Copen doesn't have an inline fuel filter. He advised me the filtration is done inside the fuel tank & isn't designed to be replaced.
    That's why I couldn't see anything in the service manual about the fuel filter.
    My mechanic told me he would have to take the fuel tank out to check the filter if that's what I wanted. I told him not to bother.

7. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Its common these days for car manufacturers to put the fuel filter in the tank. A bit daft really because if you tend to let your fuel get really low before you fill up you can suck all kinds of muck up into the filter.

8. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Ceri's reply

Hi Adam,

Nope not yet - even took it to a Daihatsu dealer this week - he hooked it up to Diagnostics and there were no error codes.

He spoke to Daihatsu UK who had never heard of the problem.

Dealer recommend new sparks, full service using original parts and clean the throttle cable housing.

Will let you know if it works - another Daihatsu mechanic has suggested the coil.

I'll get the plugs done first.

Thanks

9. Ceri

Ceri Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    COPEN
    KS

Sounds exactly like my problem, change the Coil Packs and it has gone - weird about your induction kit.

Ceri

10. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    I disagree :p

Not sure what you putting in your petrol tank :eek:

With the pick up always at the bottom its always closer to the 'muck' at the bottom than when its full with clean fuel at the top. The constant sloshing around of the fuel as you drive with keep it mixed, so particles aren't just sat at the bottom.

Its probably quite easy to remove the fuel pump from the Copen. I'd say the boot hinges being in the way makes it more difficult than anything else.

11. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I was thinking of access to change the filter being a bad reason to put it in the tank. If its in the engine compartment that has to be easier to change than in the fuel tank. I've never looked into changing the Copens filter so I don't know how easy or difficult it will be.
    As for not letting your fuel run low. If you have little fuel in the tank then any sediment is more concentrated in the small amount of fuel so more chance of it getting sucked into the filter. I think the pump is cooled by the fuel as well so another reason not to go to low, but don't quote me on that.:D

12. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    Am I right in saying when its in the fuel tank, its not a classic looking filter put like a horizontal flat bag?

Are you saying the pump gets hot? would they really design something to get hot when its in flammable vapours/liquid? :eek: I'm dropping ice cubes in mine for the drive home!

13. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Won't any electric motor produce heat when running? I doubt there's enough heat to ignite your tank so I'd go easy on the ice cubes.:D
    I've looked it up and the pump is cooled and lubricated by the fuel. However it's not cooled by being immersed in the fuel it's cooled by the fuel passing through it. So running your fuel low shouldn't overheat it .
    Below is from an exchange of views on another forum. This guy sounds agitated.:)

14. Ceri

Ceri Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    COPEN
    My engine keep cutting out / hiccuping randomly, it was a Spark Coil issue.

The Daihatsu Dealer could not trace it on their diagnostics kit, in the end a friend said change the spark coils.

The Copen has 4 of them, and they cost in excess of £150 each new - luckily I used http://www.1stchoice.co.uk and a very good supplier in Cambridgeshire, FenLand Breakers, (contact Gary on 01354 651949) supplied me with 4 used ones for £67 inc delivery.

They work No more cut outs or hiccups

Car is now perfect and has been ever since I changed the Spark Coils.

Fenland have 4 Copens if you need spares. A friend received a Copen Turbo off them and is very happy as well.

So an engine cut out / hiccup that did not show any error codes on the Daihatsu Diagnostic kit was caused by a faulty spark coil.

When the fault first occurred my car had 70,000 miles on it and it is on a 54 plate.

Daihatsu UK had never heard of the problem before!

15. joeleow

joeleow Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen (red) and Lexus IS250 (white)
    This sounds like what I am experiencing now. Is spark coil the same as ignition coil? Is there a suitable timeframe or mileage travelled to change this part?

16. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Yes it's the same thing or things.
    In the olden days, Pre 1992, cars had an ignition coil and a distributor to send the coils voltage to each plug. Today's cars are controlled by computer and they often have a coil on each spark plug so no need for distributor, rotor arm, etc.
    If one of your coils has gone down causing the car to run on three cylinders or misfire it should have thrown up a code and brought on your MIL light. That's the light that looks like an engine, comes on when you start the car but goes out immediately after.
    The coils should last as long as a piece of string. They can last the life of the car or go after a short amount of use.
    Is your engine light on?

17. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Just seen your other thread Joe and it very well could be the fuel filter.
    My wife's car had a problem where it ran ok untill you put your foot down then it hiccuped like it was running out of fuel. I changed the filter and that fixed it. The blocked filter allowed enough fuel through for light acceleration but when you pushed it there was insufficient fuel getting through and so it stuttered.
    If you have no electrical problems changing the filter and checking for air leaks in the fuel lines might be worth doing.

18. joeleow

Car(s):
    Just went down to the carpark in the middle of the night to start the car and look for the engine light. It doesn't appear, even after 2 to 3 tries.

I read somewhere that the Copen fuel filter is inside the fuel tank and cannot be changed. How do I change it?

19. joeleow

Car(s):
  20. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    The Copen doesn't have a fuel filter in the fuel line. It's actually in the tank, & isn't a sevicable item.
    I would go with the coil packs. If I remember correctly, another member wasn't getting warning lights or error codes. On replacing all four coil packs the problem was solved.