Interesting topic on filters

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by trustafox, Dec 7, 2012.

1. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
  2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Nice find & interesting.

3. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    That lad certainly went the extra mile to find out about filters.:D
    Looks like Toyota is a good choice. I wonder if Daihatsu filters are made to similar spec?

4. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    DaG, I have just done my first copen oil and filter change. I was thinking of saving the filter......usually bin them which seems a big waste of good recyclable metal, but don't know if they would get recycled in the green bin.......and like that guy cutting it open and taking a look. It is a Diahatsu one too. Yeah its been used but a wipe down should give a visual on the parts. Also see how robust the filter media is after use.

5. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    Cheers Adam, it was. Give a bot of insight into how they are put together

6. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Get yourself one of those oil filter openers like he had.
    Or a fine toothed hacksaw whichever is cheaper.:D

I wouldn't put the old filter in the recycle bin if I was you. I put some apples off our tree in our garden waste bin and they wouldn't empty it. No fruit said the notice they stuck on it:eek:
    If they won't take apples I would imagine a manky oil soaked filter would deffo be a no no.:D

7. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    It would be good to be able to recycle them. even if the filter element is wasted.

Thats because apples are food and you cannot recycle food in case its been in contact with meat products. To them they don't know if the apple came from the fridge or your tree. if I was you I'd just throw the apple in a close by hedge row. Either food for little animals ir rots and put nutrients back in the ground.

If I took it apart and chucked the metal parts in I imagine they would. Thats the recycle bin not the green waste bin thats brown! well the twigs are brown.

8. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    They turn the garden waste into fertiliser and mulch. Why are they bothered whether apples might have touched raw meat? It's not as if anybody will be eating them.

Just looked it up and the fertilising process doesn't always kill bugs such as salmonella so no food waste is allowed. A bit daft when they have just fell off my tree but I suppose rules are rules.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  9. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    yeah a potential health hazard. Its even the same with indoor plants and cut flowers, if I remember correctly, that they can't go in the bin either. Yes when the facts are know, but to them an apple is an apple. They sell the compost just up the road from me at the reycle centre. Will be visiting in there with the old oil.

What make of oil filter do you use for your 1.3 DaG? or does a garage do it all so you bother looking?

10. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    When I bought the car last June it had just been serviced so I don't have that problem unill next June. My local parts shop sells fram filters so I'll likely be using Fram. I might try and source a daihatsu filter though, I'll see what happens next year.

11. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    so you will be doing the servicing yourself? The one I got was a blue print. it fitted which was a good start. To say it looked good is obviously meaningless with the link I posted.

would like to take it apart and compare with the original daihatsu one I took off.

12. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I've seen blueprint filters about. Are they a reputable make?
    I prefer to do my own servicing and repairs I have a massive mistrust of garages. The problem is I want to keep the cars service book stamped up so I'm currently not sure what to do. I'll bury my head in the sand and decide next year.:D

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  13. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    I've wrote in the book myself the date, mileage. If you keep the receipts of parts bought you have the proof.
    State your case: I do the servicing because I care about my car and know what and what isn't done. To a garage its just a production line work.

I'm not sure if they are. Maybe some will frown deeply at them. But where do Daihatsu or othersget their's from? I doubt most make themselves. They could be made by a company that people call their other brands as dodgy