1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intercoolers

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by marnob, Apr 18, 2017.

1. marnob

marnob Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    There doesn't seem to be a topic regarding Intercoolers, piping etc on this forum other than the odd mention in other threads?
    So I thought I would start one as there seems to be lots of questions.
    Considering this is an important part for a Turbo engine I thought I would start.
    I have just recently replaced my original Intercooler with an after market one.
    I will put a how to, problems I faced and photos on what I did shortly.
    Apart from that I encourage people to put the own comments on what or if they have done this?

2. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    Ok, I had been searching, reading all I could about Intercoolers and there sizes etc. I learn't that bigger is NOT better in this case.
    Neither is small. Getting in between seemed tricky to find.
    I didn't want to use the HKS one, for two main reasons. One, it is bloody expensive to buy and land here. Two, you will need to pull the front
    off and there is an awful lot of piping, so money best spent elsewhere.
    I am not going to race it and I think you need to bear that in mind with mods as it can/will get out of control with small gains that won't matter on the street.
    That said I was watching an after market one on Japanese auction sites for ages. All alloy, bigger and replaces the original Intercooler.
    This seemed to tick all the boxes but I didn't want to pay full price as I had noticed they auction bid them sometimes and you could
    pick one up a lot cheaper. 23,500yen full price and around 16,000yen bidded.
    I got one at 15,500Yen so I was happy with that.
    I was a bit nervous about the quality but when I received it, no problem it was excellent.
    This is purposely built to suit the L880K and replace the original one.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  3. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    I figured I could replace the original one without taking the front off but wasn't entirely sure so I allowed a day of mucking around.
    As it turned out, I didn't need to so that saved and heap of time and also meant I could do it on my own.
    You will need to raise the front up, either on the jack with some Axle stands or on some ramps as you will need to get underneath to
    undo two bolts that hold the Intercooler in at the bottom.
    These two bolts will give me a lot of grief later on.
    First take off the grill, three plastic Phillips screws and it lifts out.[​IMG][​IMG]
    You can clearly see the original Intercooler.
    [​IMG]
    Next is to take of the Intercooler induction pipe and hoses. I have a Stainless Induction already fitted a while ago. You will need to
    move that out of the way and undo the pipe at the front. [​IMG][​IMG]

Getting that out of the way will allow more room to remove the air cleaner holder.
    Removing the Air Cleaner is easy for me as I had modified it before (on another thread) and removed the small plastic intake pipe. It has a couple of small plastic rivets that will pop out so you can remove the whole cleaner.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    With all that out of the way its time to undo things. The rubber intake pipe just has a hose clamp on it. Will replace that with Silicone
    at some stage. A bit of blow back oil around the old Intercooler but nothing unusual for 110,000Kms.
    [​IMG]
    Next is to undo the bolts. There is one at the top, easy to see and two underneath the car. These two bottom ones will give you
    a headache getting them out and putting them back in later. Lining the holes up again took me ages.
    You will be able to fit a ring spanner on each bolt to undo it. I figured a lot less time than taking the front off!
    [​IMG]
    Once all the bolts are undone you need to twist the old Intercooler on its side to get it out.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    Before fitting the new Intercooler you must remember to take off the rubber bushes from the old one. Watch the small one which allows you to clip the small side cover back on. These will be used again and have the wholes in all the right places. Great replica.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Also while on the bench, line them up together and bend the mounting brackets to the same shape.
    This will make it a lot easier when trying to line up the holes again.
    You can see how much bigger the new one is.
    It fills up the whole space where the old one was. Should have been made like that in the beginning?
    [​IMG]
    This is it finished. Allow a few hours especially for the bottom bolts!
    One of the things I have noticed with the after market one is the cooling fan comes on perhaps 50% less than before.
    A bit more sucking noise when accelerating, I like that and over all a great cheap inexpensive mod.
    Add that with an after market induction pipe kit and it improves performance you can really feel.
    Will post a photo of the induction as that was done a while before the Intercooler.
    Hope this helps for anyone wondering about it.

Attached Files:

Tassie Devil likes this.
  6. gotboost?

gotboost? Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    Is it specifically a Copen intercooler you bought or off something else?

7. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    Yes it is a purpose built one to suit the Copen L880K.
    I have since edited the description up the top..:)

8. gotboost?

gotboost? Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    Nice :)
    Which site did you get it from? Got any links, etc?

9. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    From the Yahoo site in Japan. I will have a look for the link..

10. stonemanty

stonemanty Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS
    Copen 660cc
    I went DSport with mine, intercooler and piping

Very good, far better power increase than with the ECU, which surprised me

11. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
  12. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/m190737165
    That is the one I purchased but it was a lot cheaper as it was an auction

13. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    Yes, the D-Sport set up with Intercooler piping is perfect if you can afford it.
    Not sure of the size on that compared to the after market one I bought?
    Mine definitely filled up all the space and was a lot thicker than the original one.
    The Intercooler piping I used was from the same place too.
    One of the differences between the piping is that you can't fit the engine cover back on once you fit the new piping, where as the D-Sport has longer piping so it you may be able to fit the cover?
    Better still, buy the D-Sport engine cover and its done.
    I thought about buying that but realized that it won't fit over my piping either.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  14. shveya

shveya Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2003 Copen L880K
    2002 Daihatsu YRV TurboR
    Sorry for bumping up old thread, but if you still own this custom cooler, could you take measeures (W/H/L) of it? I suppose it is possible without disassemble. I think that some other car aftermarket intercooler can be fitted with little welding... Thanks

15. marnob

Car(s):
    Copen L880K 2004
    Dont have the car here at the moment. Its in transport.
    Perhaps, but if the piping isnt right it wont fit. Not much room for error and not that expensive anyway.

16. shveya

shveya Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2003 Copen L880K
    2002 Daihatsu YRV TurboR
    Did you have noticeable power improvement after replacement? The size of new cooler seems only a cu bigger than OEM.

17. Marcus

Marcus Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Toyota Estima, Daihatsu Copen
    marnob, Well done, i did the same. Cheap all things considered. Next up, the intercooler pipe work.