Immobiliser certificate

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by spacehelen, Oct 22, 2011.

1. spacehelen

spacehelen Copenworld Newbie

Anyone know why insurer needs an immobiliser certificate. My lovey new to me copen has the manufacturer one fitted. Shouldn't this be enough?
    Thanks
    :think:

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I didn't need one for mine.
    I thought you only need to provide some sort of certificate if it was an after market system.

3. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    I agree with Adam,
    You shouldn't need a certificate for a factory fitted immobiliser.

I was asked for this once. Stated it was factory fitted and then asked to say if was working or not.

How are you supposed to test it?
    Well I had an idea, tried it and it worked.

See this thread.

Rex.

4. spacehelen

spacehelen Copenworld Newbie

Thanks Guys,
    Still having insurance battle, went to a garage who said they do not test factory fitted ones, so rang insurer. They directed me to an immobiliser sale centre who quoted me £200 plus.
    I smell an insurance rat..... got a new quote with another company, cheaper and they don't want a certificate.... hmmmmm

5. nertman

nertman Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    57 plate copen
    Customised MGTF
    Nissan Terrano
    Suzuki GSR
    Kawasaki W800
    who do you recommend?

We are having the same issue at the moment,which company's can people recommend here?

Our club insured from Nert will quote but they tell me as we are using the car for work they may not be competive,

Thanks in advance

6. Coxsie

Coxsie Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen + Signum
    Admiral are good for me, I have may Copen on a multi-car policy.

7. nertman

Car(s):
    57 plate copen
    Customised MGTF
    Nissan Terrano
    Suzuki GSR
    Kawasaki W800
    sorted

Just given up with our previous insures (D I) and went with the best deal from a search engine and all they need is a photocopy from the handbook,plus we have saved £120 by changing

8. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    I had the same issue and am keeping fingers crossed that I have this sorted with insurer now.
    bought car at start of this month and transferred my current policy, sent letter from Daihatsu to Direct Line on 9th 1st class post (should have done signed for delivery) and phoned regularly since then to be told they hadn't received it...until this Weds when they had it and said it's fine now. :)
    Then Thurs I receive the Daihatsu letter back with no covering letter, no biggy as I'm covered now (I think) but a bit annoyed it's stamped as received by them on the 16th even tho on the 21st they said they hadn't received it. :(
    Then yesterday I get a letter from them saying the immobiliser doesn't meet their requirements! :mad:
    a 20 minute phone call later and the person I spoke to went away and spoke to the underwriter and came back and said yes it's all fine now because they checked online and confirmed that it was fitted by Daihatsu when the car was manufactured; just like I'd been telling them for the past 2 weeks. I've asked them to write to me confirming this.

9. nertman

Car(s):
    57 plate copen
    Customised MGTF
    Nissan Terrano
    Suzuki GSR
    Kawasaki W800
    insurance idiots

We thought we had this sorted..............
    A company under a different name but part of the direct line group have just written to us again after getting a covering letter from the vechicle importers stating it does not meet requirments

We are now in talks with our clubs supporting insurance company Peter Best to arrange discounted insurance for all copen owners,we have previously arranged for cover on MGTF/MX5's and the average price seems to be comming back at under £200 full comp

As soon as somthing is arranged a full posting of all details etc will be completed

Hope this will be of help

10. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Thanks Nertman.
    Fully comp is about £220 for me (plus wife, both over 45). A little cheaper than I can get via the meerkats, and Adrian Flux wanted over £400.

11. Quartz

Quartz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Grey Copen 2007
    I've had this problem with Churchill Car insurance. I sent proof in the form of owners manual explaining it and even details on my key fob. Got a letter back saying 'thank you for the correspondence' but it's still not proof!

So I'm changing my car insurance tomorrow - I can get it £200 cheaper after a quick look on compare the market. I just can't believe an insurance company does not have knowledge of it all. I had to pay an extra £300 just because I have moved into a 'dodgy area!' madness...

12. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Yep that's the right thing to do. If they make it difficult for you, just move your business elsewhere.

13. garypaul67

garypaul67 Copenworld Newbie

Hi all

I am surprised that other members have had trouble with insurance from Direct Line I have my copen insured with them for 203.00 and have not been asked for any docs

14. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

Wow, you sure have a complicated insurance situation over there in the UK
    Here, its just tell them the car, and i pay the 400 dollars (190 pounds?) and thats it for the year - they dont care if you have an imobiliser or any other anti theft devise - it goes on your record, on how good a driver you have been (accident record) And this MOT thing? is that annually? over here, your car can be sitting in a paddock for 10 years, as long as you keep up the annual registration, there isnt a problem. Ive never had to take a car for an inspection ever. Im guessing thats why we have so many old cars on the road over here.

15. garypaul67

garypaul67 Copenworld Newbie

insurance

We sure do have a complicated insurance market here its set to ensure the insurance compmany gets the right amount of money to cover the risk. I work for a large car insurance company so know a lot about it.

16. Ann Archer

Ann Archer Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2007 silver Copen
    Hello and Help! I'm a new member and bought a 2007 Copen this morning. We insured with Direct Line yesterday for £191 and were asked to confirm the immobiliser fitted when we had collected the car. Just phoned DL and they say the factory-fitted immobiliser is not on their list and we are, consequently, no longer insured for theft. Can you or any other members let me know of the company you use who will insure us? Thanks in advance.
    I realise the weekend is the worst possible time! Regards Annie

17. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Hi. I'm with DL too and it took a couple of weeks but they finally covered me for theft. The person on the phone went and checked with an underwriter, who checked and confirmed that it has one factory fitted (which i'd been telling them :rolleyes: ) and then they covered it. Next time you phone, ask to speak to the underwriter or ask them to check with the underwriter and see if that helps.

I did also get another letter from daihatsu confirming the imob is fitted (in addition to the letter that the previous owner had got from them), but that only arrived after DL had agreed cover.

P.S. sounds like a good price; i guess there's a low risk rate in Ambridge :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  18. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    I was with Direct Line and had the same problem. Luckily I had the original alarm certificate with the paperwork that came with my car, it may be worth checking. Otherwise direct line did say that they would accept a letter from an old Daihatsu dealer saying that it was an approved alarm.

I just changed my insurance (after a silly quote from DL) and Admiral did not question the alarm at all. They were also less than half the price DL wanted.

19. 2jags

2jags Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Figaro
    Renault Megane CC 190 Tom Tom
    Hi, I added my copen in February to my direct line policy - got second car discount, no mention of an immobiliser, I know I had to get one fitted to my figaro before they would insure that, with the copen being a newer car it never crossed my mind, got me thinking now maybe I should query my cover?

20. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    I think direct line make it up as they go along! My Figaro didn't have an immobiliser or alarm and they insured that for 10 years with no problem :mad: