1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm finally going to do it!

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by sunlover, Aug 25, 2019.

1. sunlover

sunlover Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    After much deliberating and getting quotes to repair rust in wheel arches and sills..I'm having a go myself! Took a mouse sander to the first arch today, was very raised bubbling. This is the only picture I will forget: found the mouse sander easy to use, handles well and not too heavy. Used a 40 grade sand paper and lifted easily. Rust not as bad as I thought.. I found when there is raised paint it's sometimes hard to see where other areas are starting to bubble slightly, I just felt the area without looking at it, much easier to pick up the slightest of bubbles starting. Pic of half way through attached. Lots more sanding to get down to the rust. Curust tomorrow , filling then paint. Figure if I can fill and sand walls this will be a dawdle.. wish me luck it may not he perfect but I'll be better prepared if it does come back. 20190825_180105.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  2. sunlover

Car(s):
    Copen
    The culprit! 20190826_121848.jpg

3. sunlover

Car(s):
    Copen
  4. sunlover

Car(s):
    Copen
  5. sunlover

Car(s):
    Copen

Attached Files:

6. sunlover

Car(s):
    Copen
    1st coat

Attached Files:

7. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    As far as I can see there it still is brown, isn't it? That means there still is rust. I guess this will not be a permanent fix, even if you coat it with some kind of anti-rust treatment

8. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Wow, a much better job than I’d have managed. Did you just use a rattle can or a proper spray gun ?

9. sunlover

Car(s):
    Copen
    The brown isnt rust. I cured that with rust treatment that turned it black. The brown is fibre filler which turns yellow then brown when sanded. The filler was fibral which is really easy to work with. The paint was a spray, mix in a can through halfords went on well. I have one little bit I need to fix in the laquer..was at the very last bit lol got bit excited how it looked. Will get that out the next few days. Def worth a go if you are handy.

10. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    good work, did you check the inner side?;)

11. sunlover

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi welz yes inner wheel arches have been coated with hammerite black rust cure and inner side of arch was coated with curust, very small paint brush and small hands was ok. Will wait a couple of weeks and tackle the right side. Didn't take long more the waiting in between curing the rust and multi paint layers etc. Anything else I can do to prevent the rust please say, really want to try and save this wee car from rust, appreciate the comments and tips as I'm very much still learning in the job

12. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    I prefere Home

spray the underbody each year in the springtime..;)

sunlover likes this.
  13. sunlover

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thanks. I'd love to be able to do that. List is never ending

14. Wayne Wong

Wayne Wong Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2008 Copen
    I have the same problem with 2008 blue Copen as well. It only on the right side in exactly the same spot shown here. Don't think I can match the paint. Will probably have a done professionally since they will have to more likely spray paint the entire panel. Seem it is rusting from the underside so not sure what I can get in Nagasaki Japan to protect that. Haz waste rules are very strict here on what you can buy in stores over-the-counter. Any helpful comments is appreciated.

15. sunlover

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi I think the colour is b42 but check under the bonnet there should be a sticker there with the colour. I ended up getting mine done professionally again couple of months ago, got the rot cut out too, still glad I did it initially but a much better finish by the professionals.

16. Michael O'Connor

Michael O'Connor Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 07
    Hi, in 2019 my 2007 Copen failed the MOT test. I had cutting and welding to the sills and professional filling and spraying and it passed the MOT test. This year 2021 it failed again. Tough decision sell without MOT at 42000 miles or get it repaired. Any rust within 100mm of a seat anchor it an automatic failure The seat itself counts as an anchor. Any advice welcomed.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  17. sunlover

Car(s):
    Copen
    That's a shame it only lasted 2 years, I'd expect longer if they cut the rust out but I'm not that experienced in repairs, just dabble a bit. Is it worth doing again ? Maybe have a chat with a local garage see what they think. I'd be gutted with that low mileage too. Personally if I had a good contact I'd get it repaired if not too expensive, depends if you want to keep the car.