How to replace a door lock actuator

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Nico Naus, May 10, 2020.

1. Nico Naus

Nico Naus Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Daihatsu Trevis
    Hi everyone!

I just bought my first Copen a few days ago. I'm very happy with it, I got a great deal on it, but it has a few issues.
    The central locking does not work. When pressing the remote, the locks make a soft clicking sound, but nothing happens. As it turns out, the door lock actuators need new motors!
    I took pictures of the whole process, an I thought I would share it with you all as my first post to Copenworld!

I hope this is some use to someone here!

EDIT: This fix is done on a 2004 Copen L880K
    --------------------------------

Step 1: Remove the door panels

This is fairly straight forward.

In the door latch, open the small cover with a plastic spatula, and remove the black screw.

[​IMG]

Remove the clip at the top of the door latch assembly, again using the spatula.
    EDIT: your handle may not move forward as much as is shown here. This step can be a bit tricky, take your time!

Pull the frame down to release the bottom clip, and pull away to the right to remove.

[​IMG]

Remove the silver trim from the door handle, again using a spatula, starting at the bottom.

[​IMG]

This reveals two gold colored screws inside the handle. Remove them, leaving the silver screws in place.

[​IMG]

Pull the door panel away from the door, starting at the inside of the door, then working along the bottom and the outside. The door panel is held in place by small clips, and at the top it is slid in place.

[​IMG]

Lift the door panel up and away from the door.

[​IMG]

Step 2: Remove the door lock assembly

Remove the door latch by lifting the connecting rods out of their brackets.

[​IMG]

Remove the waterproofing plastic from the door, about halfway. You can do this by gently pulling it away from the door.

[​IMG]

Remove the bolt shown in the center using a 10mm wrench. Remove the black screw that holds the insulation pad in place.

[​IMG]

Remove the three screws that hold the door lock in place.

[​IMG]

Lift out the small insulation pad that sits between the door and the door lock assembly.

[​IMG]

Take the rods out of the two clips to get them out of the way.

[​IMG]

Remove the styrofoam door insulation by removing the two black screws. This step is necessary to be able to lift out the door lock assembly.

[​IMG]

Pull the door lock assembly up and away out of the door. Remove the two golden screws, be careful that they don't fall into the door.

[​IMG]

The actuator can now be lifted out of the door lock assembly.

[​IMG]

Remove the power connector by inserting a flat head screwdriver (or pressing down on the clip with your finger). Not much pressure is needed here.
    EDIT: I'm working on the passenger door here. On the drivers side, there is a bigger connector going to the actuator.

Tilt the metal rod that was connected to the door latch out of its clip, and away from the actuator.

[​IMG]

Step 3: Replace the door lock motor

First, you can test if the actuator is faulty by applying current from a 9v battery. Polarity does not matter. When applying current, the white bracket should move either clockwise or counterclockwise for about 45 degrees.

[​IMG]

Open up the motor housing by prying it open. This can be a bit tricky, so take your time. use a strong metal object like a spatula to put pressure on the weld in order to crack it open. Work your way around the perimeter of the housing.

[​IMG]

Once the housing is open, you can clearly see the mechanism.

[​IMG]

Take out the motor, and test its function again using a 9v battery. If the motor runs slowly or gets stuck, it's time to replace it! If it runs fine, it might be the gears or the lubircation.

[​IMG]

Replace the motor with a new one. I used a FC-280PC-22125 motor, with a 10 mm shaft that has a D-profile along 8 mm.

Now follow the steps above in reverse to put everything back together

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    AFR0N1 likes this.
  2. DavidM

DavidM Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2005 L880K
    Excellent first post! Thank you!

3. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    Great timing, my passenger door lock recently became faulty so this will be very helpful for when I fix it

4. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Hello and welcome
    Very cool, thanks for sharing

5. Vicky

Vicky Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880k Austin A30
    dose the window need to be down to remove the door card ?

6. Nico Naus

Nico Naus Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Daihatsu Trevis
    No, but it does make it easier, especially when putting it back on the door, this can be tricky with the window up!

7. Vicky

Vicky Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880k Austin A30
    thank you was wanted to remove the door card for painting the door and removing the handle and mirror know the mirror is bolted on from the outside but need to get to the electrics in the door

also know its in this post but any other tips for getting the door card off

8. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Just remove the screws that hold it in place, then start ripping it off from the bottom up.

9. Simon House

Simon House Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen nisssan elgrand and skyline
    Great info, found both of my motor are faulty.
    Thanks