How to get the door card off?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Suzette, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Suzette

Suzette Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Elise, Copen, VRS, GT6
    I'm trying to diagnose what's wrong with one of the door speakers and can't get the door card off. I've found the 2 screws behind the pull handle and also the small screw in the interior leaver housing, but this doesn't appear to release the housing and looks to be the only thing stopping me getting the panel off.

Any pointers?
    What am I missing, clearly don't want to force anything.

2. APPLEDjerry

APPLEDjerry Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    'Lola': 2009 Copen 1.3 Silver
    'Griffin the Mule': Vauxhall Vectra Estate, 2008, 1.8, black.
    Here's a guide from a defunct forum that shows some of the steps necessary.
    Tutorial - Removing your factory fit speakers and installing a component set | Copen Owners Club.Org.UK
    The critical steps you require are shown, but they still managed to get me confused when I first tried removing the inner door panel and I still managed to mark the lock button.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Basically, there are two securing tabs and lugs, the top lug which can be seen in the second photo. If I recall correctly, the arrow pointing upwards is a bit misleading. Insert the screwdriver tip in and lever that upwards (not the whole surround as I initially believed). As you ease the tab of the surround off the lug, use another flat blunt tool easing in from behind the surround and ease it outwards slightly to release the tab. There is an identical tab/lug below in the mirror position to the top one, so repeat the process and this should release the surround completely.

Pulling the door card off is straightforward from here (having already undone the two door pull screws), only beware that the press studs that hold it on can be tight and brittle, sometimes breaking in the process. So it's a good idea to have some replacements at hand.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    AFR0N1 likes this.
  3. Suzette

Suzette Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Elise, Copen, VRS, GT6
    Thank you, that's the exact bit I couldn't figure out. I'll have a go again at the weekend.

APPLEDjerry likes this.