How do I change the oil filter????Pleassssse

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by 2Big, Feb 18, 2012.

1. 2Big

2Big Copenworld Newbie

Got the cup wrench, through the enging mounting from underneath, undone the filter, but it won't fit through the gap in the engine mount!
    How the fork do you get it out?????????:-((
    Looks like the rolled crimp at the open end of the filter is about 2mm too wide for the gap!
    Even IF i could get it out, the new one has the same problem and won't go back in.
    Need help lads otherwise wife is not going to work on Monday.

Thanks,

2Big

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    To fit the genuine Daihatsu filter you have to turn it 90 degrees to the engine block. So it fits sideways through the engine mount arm.

Welcome to Copenworld too.

3. 2Big

2Big Copenworld Newbie

Adam, I am in Worcester as well!!!!!!
    Is a Fram filter in there at present, is just too big to drop through the gap, I could use some 'gentle help' with a large lever, but IF it came out, would still not be able to get the new one in.

What is the secret, I have to get this sorted tomorrow otherwise I am toast.

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Make a few more posts & you'll be able to download the service manual from the directory section.
    See section B5-5 for a nice diagram.

It is the 659 turbo engine your talking about, right?

5. 2Big

2Big Copenworld Newbie

Yep, is the lickle engine, 2004. The engine mount arm is right below the filter, right?
    This is where I am trying to pull it through, but it looks like its just not wide enough.
    I had read somewhere about turning it through 90 deg. & using the cup wrench, hence why i waited for today, but wasn't expecting such a small space.

6. 2Big

2Big Copenworld Newbie

how many posts to achieve

7. 2Big

2Big Copenworld Newbie

the download

8. 2Big

2Big Copenworld Newbie

capability

9. 2Big

2Big Copenworld Newbie

OK, so the manual says lift up the car. I have it on ramps, so the weight is still on the wheels, is this the issue, will it give me more space it I have the car off the floor??????

10. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Thats right the engine mount is right below the filter location. It's very tight for space.
    If you still have no luck, you'll need to take the bumper off.
    Don't worry it's not that drastic. It's not a hard job.
    Below is a link to the French Copen site showing how the bumper comes off.

http://translate.googleusercontent....?t=370&usg=ALkJrhh6fA0YFaU-Trp42Oz5TBEwo29eTg

Once that's off you need to take the air box out. Once that's out you might have enough room to get the filter out.

Check out this link to a Japanese site. Look down into the Copen area for the Oil Replacement page. It'll show the access
    with the air box removed.

http://translate.google.com/transla...rev=/search?q=copen+parts&start=10&hl=en&sa=N

11. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Where in Worcester are you?
    I can pop around if you want?

12. 2Big

2Big Copenworld Newbie

mate, thanks I am working outside, not in a garage, so its dark & have had to call it a day for now.
    I will have to start again in the morning, I will PM you my address if you are still feeling exceptionally helpful tomorrow, would welcome the help.

13. tanto

tanto Copenworld Newbie

is it possible to do it without a bridge?