Hope to be a copen owner soon

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Josh, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Josh

Josh Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    BMW 318D
    Hi all

Going to see a Copen next week
    low mileages (under 10k) and it is a 1.3 engine model 2008

The only concern for me is no services have been carried out in the last few years...as the owner only drove about 3000 miles in the last 3 years

I want to get some advises from you expert as to in this case, what should I looked out for?

Thanks
    Josh

2. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

I would be very dubious of buying a car that hadnt had a service in that lengh of time- i swear by regular servicing - i have down over 400,000 kms in my four cars in 16 years - never broken down once...
    you find a lot more problems down the road, if there isnt any servicing for that lengh of time. In australia, we can take it to RACV for a full inspection to see if its ok. you have somthing like that where you are?

3. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi Josh, welcome to Copenworld.
    I'd get it serviced straight away if you go for it.
    Check the tyres haven't cracked too.

4. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    If it was high mileage yes but this car hasn't been anywhere. 10k is barely run in.
    Make sure the mileage is genuine Josh and do the usual checks you would do for any car. The 1.3 doesn't need the level of servicing that the 660 needs but make sure the engine sounds tight and the oil isn't overly black. Use the lack of history as a bargaining tool. If in doubt walk away.

5. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Welcome Josh,

Was the first service carried out? I think this is the most important.

As Adam commented, the tyres could be an issue if left standing in the same spot for long periods.

Look at the last MOT's (could be 1 or 2 depending on date of registration) for mileage and advisory notices.

Overall, if the price is right, I wouldn't be too worried.

Rex.

6. tunedtimer

tunedtimer Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Hi Josh,don't be afraid anything,don't buy it if your local daihatsu service don't take a look of the car,but remember engine 1.3 has less problems than the turbo engine...so good luck with your copen..

7. Josh

Josh Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    BMW 318D
    Guys thanks
    I will definitely check it out thoroughly and finger crossed. Will Defo walk away if anything seems not right.

Very excited about it and hope it turns out to be a good buy....

Thanks

8. Josh

Josh Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    BMW 318D

Yes I believed the first 2 years services have been carried out but not in year 3 to 5

9. quibbles

quibbles Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2008 Copen and an Avensis
    Welcome and good luck! I too bought a 2008 Copen with only 7k on the clock, but it had been regularly serviced. With that low a mileage I can't see you having any major issues.

10. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

Its not so much the kilometers that it hasnt been serviced. Its the time - a few years without any serviceing no matter how many kilometers it has travelled no matter what car it is. Ive owned over 30 cars in my life, and all the manuals say to adhere to the lengh of age, and not the kilometers of service. Low kilometers in any car these days means nothing - ive sold over 10 of my cars with over 250-300,000 kms on the clock. I was in new york, and taxis which never leave the road with 300,000 miles! and its the same with trucks across australia. A scientist friend tells me it is to do with viscosity, tempreture and fluidity of use, whatever that means, that creates longivity in an engine. My neighbour uses his car like once a fortnight - its always getting some kind of repair..

11. Josh

Josh Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    BMW 318D
    Help

Dear all,
    OK, I went to see the car today.... I like what I saw... very much!
    The car is good condition overall and everything is working fine.
    The seller seems honest and genuine.

I then did a HPI check earlier and found the mileages could be an issue

I personally believe this is a typo or error of some sort but see what you guys think

29/05/2008 - DVLA - 29,000 miles
    24/08/2009 - NMR - 500 miles
    24/08/2009 - DVLA - 1,000 miles

The car first reg at early March.....

The Mileages on the 2009 is correct as this was backed up by the receipt from the dealer

Only the 2008 seems to be a problem. What do you think?

thanks in advance

Josh

12. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Has to be a typo. It's a lot of miles to rack up in three months. I bet it was more like 290 miles.
    I wouldn't worry, perhaps use it as a bargining tool with the dealer.