High Mileage Copen Advice

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by KaneP, Oct 29, 2014.

1. KaneP

KaneP Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Volvo S40
    Morning all, I am currently looking to buy a copen (0.7 litre) but am finding that there are lots with "high miles" about 100,000. I have a Volvo S40 who shrugs off 200,000 miles and hasn't put a step wrong so far.

Is the same true for the Copen? Apart from the servicing, rust and other well knowns is there anything to look for in particular or should I steer clear all together?

Appreciate the help.

Kane

2. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    higher the mileage the greater the chance of the turbo going - although oil changes can stop that to an extent.

3. Silver Rollerskate

Silver Rollerskate Copenworld Member

I've done nearly 145,000 miles in my 0.6 Copen. No real issues. I do regular services.
    there is some rattling in the engine and sounds like a diesel engine, but I think that might be caused by the garage when they replaced the head gasket.

4. KaneP

KaneP Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Volvo S40
    Have you changed either the turbo, clutch or gearbox? Have you made any modifications or is it stock? Thanks

5. Silver Rollerskate

I have not changed the clutch, gearbox or turbo.
    I used to do a lot of motorway and hence clocked up so many miles. I don't generally drive very aggressively either, however there are times when you just want to 'race' the little Copen along country roads:)

6. KaneP

KaneP Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Volvo S40
    Thank you for your input. Inspires lots more confidence! Good to know the little things are reliable.

7. Silver Rollerskate

I would agree with dsb.
    Regular oil and filter changes must be carried out. I think that oil is also used to lubricate the turbo (correct me if I'm wrong guys).

8. KaneP

KaneP Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Volvo S40
    I am sure you're right about the turbo. Quick question about the oil and filter type. What oil is best for the car and which brand do you guys use? Ive seen that, for clearance reasons, its best to stick with genuine daihatsu oil filters. Where do you get these from?