1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi guys

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by freddyzdead, Jan 11, 2017.

1. freddyzdead

freddyzdead Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    I think I'm at the bottom of a steep learning curve; I just bought a 2003 Copen from far north Queensland and drove it 2000 km back home, just north of Sydney. This was probably not such a good idea, as the car wasn't prepared for a long trip, and I knew little of what I was doing. But all seems to be ok, and what's facing me now is getting the registration transferred to New South Wales. This is a bigger deal than you might think. The immediate problem is that I have to find the engine number. I have done a lot of searching and found nothing, apart from someone else who also can't find it.

I can see why all the owners love their Copens so much. I'm also a bit alarmed by reading about some of the problems people have had, and how expensive parts can be. I think proper maintenance is key to freedom from trouble; I've been driving my Sirion for 8 years, without the slightest bit of trouble, I think because I've had it serviced religiously. I intend to do the same with the Copen.

Anyway, this looks like a good place to hang around and benefit from all the accumulated experience. Thanks.

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Be aware that the 0.6L Copen requires an oil change every 5000km, but if you take good care of it and watch out for rust (although in australia it might not be a big problem) it will be fine.
    I have never heard of engine numbers, but you might ask the local daihatsu network, maybe they can help you:
    Oceania | DAIHATSU

3. MultiplexMan

MultiplexMan Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    KIA Carnival YP, Copen
    Hi freddyzdead,

I picked up my Copen from Magnetic Island many years ago. I arranged for an oil & filter change prior to collection. I also picked up a spare tyre in Townsville.
    It was a great drive down to Sydney. I stopped just across the QLD/NSW border and did my transfer immediately in order to have my insurances in place as quickly as possible.

Honestly cannot remember where the engine number is located. I'll have a look this arvo after the it cools down!

Service is the key with the Copen. Good oil, and regularly!